Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What would be your plan?

Flathead76

Athens
Thats typical amish for ya. Growing up in Geauga county I understand exactly what this property is going through.
The property by my house is 800 acres..... it is just shy of being public... it was infested with dirty amish during gun season along with about 5-8 other guys.. it has shitty deer numbers compared to other places I hunt. The amish that were dragging out 2 little doe fawns that might have weighed 60lbs made a pretty comical comment.... the said, "these were the only deer we saw, where did they all go?"

I gave em a pretty uncensored piece of my mind..... I also informed them that as long as they were shooting every deer they saw, they would continue to see very few deer. They are like a disease..... they take over a host, and suck it dry till there is nothing left of it.... I have nothing good to say about 90% of amish.... they rape and pilage everything they touch.....

With that being said, I'm not concerned about seeing huge numbers of deer. I hunt that same property and still manage to see deer. And there are not many on it... I promise you that... I don't see 5-10 a night like I do on other properties.... it doesn't matter if I see 10, or if I see 1, if none of them are the deer I'm looking for... so it's all the same.

Ya it's great to see large numbers of deer, I get it.... but I don't need that... this property I speak of is 800 acres, and I bet there isn't 30 deer on it.... it's raped bad.....

The deer numbers are fine by me.... but some may disagree.. different mind sets and expectations i guess.

It boils down to one thing... common sense... if you are seeing less deer, and complaining about it... don't shoot any....

Also, people who are tired of the numbers on the property they hunt, how many doors have you knocked on in the last 8 months to acquire new land? Personally, I am always looking for new land.... im working different avenues on a weekly basis. Making ties here, making ties there... trapping has been a very beneficial.... u am negotiating on a few properties as we speak....

Lundy

ODNR made me do it 

I just don't buy into that. The ODNR doesn't pull the trigger. 

I also have trouble with the ODNR lied to hunters statement. They estimated the herd, said there were too many, told us they were on a herd reduction plan, hunters obliged, and we are where the ODNR said they were taking the herd. They openly said their plan was to reduce the population, they did.

Last edited:

Kaiser878

ohio
Here's my plan..... im sure you guys will love this. Ha

I do not have a lot of knowledge of public land deer hunting.... but I c an only imagine it has been raped. So I would make all public land draw only for deer. X amount of tags for x amount of hunters.

I would maintain the current county by county harvest number system.... regulate harvest based off hunter surveys and harvest records.

I would start bow season a month early.... the firdt month is buck only.... I woild also end it a month early.... so like January 1st or something to that effect.

I would keep youth season where it is.... I would make gun season Monday through friday, beginning the first Monday after Thanksgiving... muzzy season would be three days in mid to late december.....

I would hike non res tags to 3x what they are now....

That's what I would do....

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
most of you guys have great ideas, BUT the bottom line is it;s up to the man holding the weapon,if you hunt an area that dosen;t have many deer, then why would you shoot anything rhat you feel is less than mature, we all see a lot of small young deer being killed,let them walk for a few years,eventually they start having twins, doubling the population, it doesent take that many years to see improvment,if you have 100 acres and have 5 does on that property that lives to start having twins in 5 years you possibally could have 1215 does providing that they would only have twin fawn does, cut that in half for bucks and you still end up with 607 does, so management releys on the hunter who can restrain himself from pulling the trigger on what is in front of him ,it only takes patience from us not what the dnr is telling us to do, if they said it would make you a millionare to stand in front of a simi that was running 75 mph would we beleive them, put a simple problem in the hands of politicians,(and that is what they are)and i garranty they will screw it up to the point of no return, so the solution with deer management lies in the hands of the man with the weopen in his hands

I agree with this. You just cant shoot every deer you see and expect the population not to fall. If people are dumb enough to shoot every deer they see (Like the Amish) then they deserve to not have any deer.
Looking at deer hunting as a whole (In the area I hunt,) I think everything is fine. I have no complaints about the population or the way the ODNR is doing things. If we see a lot of deer we will shoot more. If we see less we will shoot less. Common sense.
I also think the dmu zones will be better then by county, And I agree that some areas should have lottery's for doe permits if the population is to low.
I agree NR fees could be increased but not x3, And it should be increased for the base licence not the tags.

Kaiser878

ohio
I agree with this. You just cant shoot every deer you see and expect the population not to fall. If people are dumb enough to shoot every deer they see (Like the Amish) then they deserve to not have any deer.
Looking at deer hunting as a whole (In the area I hunt,) I think everything is fine. I have no complaints about the population or the way the ODNR is doing things. If we see a lot of deer we will shoot more. If we see less we will shoot less. Common sense.
I also think the dmu zones will be better then by county, And I agree that some areas should have lottery's for doe permits if the population is to low.
I agree NR fees could be increased but not x3, And it should be increased for the base licence not the tags.
Why not x3?

it's ohio..... what's a tag cost in illinois, iowa, Wisconsin etc?

Kaiser878

ohio
Nebraska is over $500....
Illinois is over $400

I'll rephrase that.. their license should be increased x3..... I agree....

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Why not x3?

it's ohio..... what's a tag cost in illinois, iowa, Wisconsin etc?

I agree on a NR tag increase. At the very least NR tags should at least match the NR state tag cost where they live. Why should they get a cheap almost free ride.
But some type of prevision should be give to a NR that does own property in Ohio. Not just owning 5-10-20 acres but lets say 40 or 80 acres farm. A average old style farm was 80 acres so 2 guys owning 40 each would be OK with me. No corporations allowed.
Outfitters should be bonded and licensed.
Leasing? How does other big hunting deer states regulate leasing?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Here's how I would approach things if I were in charge...

1: Archery season would open September 15 and be buck only until October 15.

2: Archery season would close January 15 and all of January would be buck only.

3: Gun season would remain as it is. Youth would stay where it's at. No bonus gun. Muzzleloader would be the last Thur-Sun of December.

4: Maintain county specific bag limits and take an in depth look at taking does off the menu in certain counties for a season or two.

5: NR license and tags would go to $400 for license and either sex tags would be $50. If you own land in Ohio as NR, you pay the reciprocal rate as your state of residence. Additional revenue go to increasing wildlife law enforcement and infrastructure.

6: Outfitters would be required to be licensed and bonded. All proceeds from this go to land acquisition.

7: I would lobby the House to pass a bill to institute a 5% tax on leased ground. If you lease your ground, you must register that with the state and pay the percentage based on what you make. It can be a pass on cost if you so choose. Regardless, the state makes 5-10% on all leased ground. Those proceeds go to land preservation and improvements of existing public ground.

8: All NR hunters who will be hunting public access ground will be required to purchase a "habitat stamp" when they purchase their license. Cost for the stamp is $10. Fine for hunting without one is $250 for the first offense, $500 for second, revocation of license for 5 years for third. All proceeds from this stamp and fines go to youth education activities.

9: The crop damage permits are limited to 5 per landowner. If you want more, you must enroll your ground in a hunter access program. Don't want to do that, don't ask for more permits. No more shooting them at night or with rifles. All permits must be filled with legal hunting methods in legal hunting hours. No more discarding carcasses, they must be consumed. Part of the increase in law enforcement will be to monitor this situation.

10: And last but not least, increase resident license cost to $35 and either sex tags to $30. Additional revenue goes to law enforcement.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Nebraska is over $500....
Illinois is over $400

I'll rephrase that.. their license should be increased x3..... I agree....

Iowa $544 and by drawing.
Kansas $347 and by drawing.

Why shouldn't Ohio charge the same.

Jesse has some good thoughts and written well. Will these ideas be put into effect, I doubt it?

Lundy

Seasons

Archery Sept 15 - Dec 31

Gun - 1 week just as now

MZ - 4 days just as now in January

Youth - same as now.

Separate license or tag for each season, Archery, Gun and MZ ( archery only good during archery, gun only for gun, MZ on for MZ, Youth good in all seasons)

No more than one buck combined regardless of methods or season.
No more than ? does combined. ( dependent on population of county and applies to private lands only) County by county determination.

County by county doe harvest regulated on public hunting grounds through limited tags (Example -Public land antlerless tag -Athens)based up available huntable population. Public land antlerless tags available through drawing of just sold until gone.

Preset number of antlerless tags to public hunting areas based upon county

NR Resident license and tags equal to fees charged in their state to non residents.

Last edited:

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
Michigan licence cost. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...0.html&usg=AFQjCNEUnU03kX1GON910oiKLAjw5xyBdg

Pennsylvania Licence cost. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...mode=2&usg=AFQjCNE1hN7mGgqLP0yzEacA6LiF1HAcog

West Virginia cost. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...e.shtm&usg=AFQjCNH1YeDFxCSF81bkfviAe_0DHwiOLA

Kentucky licence cost. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...s.aspx&usg=AFQjCNFUVdsgo89ANOq2kD1EmSgR4jSZTQ

Indiana licence cost. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...80.htm&usg=AFQjCNFRsVPXAq9OyEXaRB-ZpmskakbIuw

Id say most NR hunters come from these states. There licence cost about the same as Ohio charges now.

NR are only 8% of the deer hunting participants in Ohio. So I think a lot of you should place the leasing blame somewhere else.

Last edited:

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Seasons

Archery Sept 15 - Dec 31

Gun - 1 week just as now

MZ - 4 days just as now in January

Youth - same as now.

I'm am not for an earlier archery season at all. I would rather see it start later than earlier. Although I don't hunt a lot in January I like the option of being able to go then so I would rather see archery end on January 31. A late muzzy season (January) ruins late archery. I would like to see muzzy season before Christmas. Then deer would be less stressed in early winter when food sources start to dwindle.

Kaiser878

ohio
I'm am not for an earlier archery season at all. I would rather see it start later than earlier. Although I don't hunt a lot in January I like the option of being able to go then so I would rather see archery end on January 31. A late muzzy season (January) ruins late archery. I would like to see muzzy season before Christmas. Then deer would be less stressed in early winter when food sources start to dwindle.
Whats your reasoning for not liking season to open earlier?

Out of curiosity, not being a smart ass... just curious