Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer Hunting Property

Logan

Deer Hunting Ground, Behind Fledderjohns.jpg

Hello, I'm new to hunting farmland and would like to hear your advice on where to set up a stand based on my property.
The blue line is a creek line, the orange area represents a bedding area, the yellow represents a travel corridor between the creek and bedding it's a low washout channel. I have access to hunt everything outlined in black, and the field inbetween the woods and creekline is all corn this year.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Welcome. Doesn't look you have a whole lot of choices really. I'd say wherever you can set up on that creek that has the most sign and best access for you to get in and out without the deer knowing you're there.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Not many choices there. I would say the creek "Y" so to cover both travel area. Like a friend would say 'deer almost have to pack a lunch to travel through there'. Welcome and good luck.

Logan

Do you guys have any tips or strategies on hunting woods that are 15 acres or less, because in this area there are primarily small woods surronded by 100 acre+ fields.

mossbergbryson

Do you guys have any tips or strategies on hunting woods that are 15 acres or less, because in this area there are primarily small woods surronded by 100 acre+ fields.
The thing I've learned from hunting my buddy's smaller patch is, make sure you're on point. You have to be really sure you have your scent controll down and hunt the wind, good entry and exit paths are important. I've learned it's nice bc with a smaller area you can pattern the deer a little easier but if you mess up its easier to push them out of the woods with it being smaller. I pretty much hunt a smaller woods the same as a bigger woods I just make sure I'm on my game even more.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Number one rule, DO NOT OVER HUNT IT. My honey hole is a 7 acre block of woods with a clearcut right next to it, does bed in the clearcut. I don't hunt those woods til late October. Going in there during early season is just shooting yourself in the foot.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
2 sets, along the creek, one north of the marked travel corridor and the other set on the south side of it.

Should be able to walk the creek and find a heavily used crossing...if you do, I would set up 20yds north of that and 20 yds south.

You will also need to find out if they use the woods to the east of the creek also. and what time of day they are in either one...this will help you choose which side of the creek to use for entrance and exit, so you won't be seen.

good luck! looks like a fun challenge. Are you looking to fill a buck tag? or shoot your first deer? or put some meat in the freezer?

Logan

Right now I'm just looking to put some meat in the freezer, I haven'nt really had anything come close enough all year.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
How often have you been hunting this spot? Open country hunting is no easy feat. They see you coming from waaaay off. If there is a drainage ditch you can use to walk in this might help. If you can glass the area from a distance to see where they enter/exit this can be a big benefit. In settings like these, I sometimes spend more time driving, road scouting with binoculars than I do hunting. I want to know what the deer are doing before I just stumble around in there. If you have no clue what they are doing, walk that creek and look for heaviest used trails. Try to see if they are bedding in there or just passing through.