Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

state deer wide harvest numbers

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Hardly anyone hunting around here. The couple groups of hunters I'm friends with all sit around and complain cause they don't have enough guys to do drives so they sit on their tailgates. Four deer have been hit at our sugar woods this week alone, 9 for the year...

That stretch of road and surrounding areas is likely the best hunting in the state outside the property line of Honda Lol.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds like the population where u guys are is way down. I count myself fortunate to not have seen much of a decline in deer numbers over the last decade. Some decline yes but we needed it around here in northwest Ohio. We should not be seeing 50 deer in the fields feeding at one time around 1 section of woods it needed reduced. Thankfully it is still common to see between 5 to up to 15 deer per sit with slight increase over the last couple of years

I don't see that in NW Ohio unless it is wintertime and they are yarded up. At this point it is deer from miles around gathered up to fend off winter. Can't say I have ever seen that many in my parts. I did see 30-40 one time though and was fortunate enough to have Full Bore with me. You are fortunate.

Bigcountry40

I don't see that in NW Ohio unless it is wintertime and they are yarded up. At this point it is deer from miles around gathered up to fend off winter. Can't say I have ever seen that many in my parts. I did see 30-40 one time though and was fortunate enough to have Full Bore with me. You are fortunate.

I agree completely Hicks, never ever seen 50 not even 20. Most I have ever seen in a feed in Feb is like 15. But NW Ohio deer pop has steadily increase over the years IMO from the 80's and 90's.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Anyone else get the deer hunting survey this year? I got about half of it filled out so far. Lots of questions on there on the types of things we complain about here. Leasing, not seeing enough deer, should there be more restrictions on does etc.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Anyone else get the deer hunting survey this year? I got about half of it filled out so far. Lots of questions on there on the types of things we complain about here. Leasing, not seeing enough deer, should there be more restrictions on does etc.
I never got it, which is a bunch of crap. They send me a damn turkey hunting survey but not one for deer.

mossbergbryson

I got the deer survey as well. I'm kind of glad this is done bc I agree a lot of the questions and issues discussed on TOO are present in the survey. As a relatively new deer hunter (even though I grew up very much around deer hunting) I was glad to see that the hunters opinion is asked. I like that the state is possibly considering some herd management changes bc I've just started and I want to see a great population exist long after I'm gone.

Ohioal

The 50 deer was only a one time deal and hasn't happened since. I guess my point was a reduction was needed but I feel we are at a good level now for my area. That's is one small area sanctuary where I can consistently see 15 to 30 come out to feed but of course that is pressure induced