Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

scrapes and rubs

jlane

dunn nc
got plenty of bucks on the property, not finding many paw marks or rubs just one here and there, could there be a reason for them not pawing and rubbing , several does on each stand or food plots, rubs that i find are like coke cans or larger got about 4 scrapes on 80 acres

Kaiser878

ohio
My best property, where I've killed 5 140+ deer on and my buddy just killed a 160 off of it this yesr, never has scrapes on it. I've been hunting there since 05 and have never seen a scrape on that property. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
My best property, where I've killed 5 140+ deer on and my buddy just killed a 160 off of it this yesr, never has scrapes on it. I've been hunting there since 05 and have never seen a scrape on that property. So I wouldn't worry about it.
That right there would be a good enough reason not to worry!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Or about rubs? Show us dem pics.

Kaiser878

ohio
There are some rubs.... some years more than others. Only on certain parts of the property. One of the areas is where the bucks tend to bed when they are there.

jlane

dunn nc
PICT0028 (1).jpgIMG_0010.jpgIMG_0015.jpgPICT0010.jpgIMG_0031 (1).jpgPICT0022 (2).jpgPICT0031 (2).jpgPICT0042.jpg just a few thats not making scrapes

jlane

dunn nc
by the way if theres someone that has a leasethat needs help with the wife and iwould be interested in talking with you, all these are on a small tract that we lease, ,its only 40 acres, looking different land to hunt all but two of these will get passes for 1-2 years,not looking a place where everything is killed, dont mind paying our part, to help manage and grow mature bucks we;ve hunted for 4 years on this and have yet to score, only because we are willing to let young deer walk, not looking to get bashed, but i know i will thanks

jlane

dunn nc
others will reap what we sow, but if we kill anything less than what we are after theres a 100 percent chance he;ll not grow into a true trophy, if we let him walk theres a chance he will make it another year, this is the mentality i wish others could have,but in our area night hunters (pochers) are abundant, hear shots during the night.not multiples but a single here and there,thinking probally deer,we are looking to join up with responsible group,i know its hard to find being a nr,but maybe theres someone outthere that would need help on some property

jlane

dunn nc
jackson, rut has been crazy this year, saw a 170/190 laying in field with a doe up towards clumbus today one chasing a doe on stand a ,decent ten pt with kickers off g2s hit on hwy 35 just out of jackson, seen more action this week than any time this year,had a 140 class behind me yesterday, saw another tall rack buck off in the distance today had a broke one sided 4pt on one side come in

Last edited:

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Yep you honestly need thousands of acres to seriously manage a deer herd.
Remember deer travel and if you have just 80 acres it's just not gonna happen.

Exactly. There's 10,000 plus acres at Honda and bucks get killed wandering on other properties every year. That's why I've always thought planting food plots is a waste of time and money...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Exactly. There's 10,000 plus acres at Honda and bucks get killed wandering on other properties every year. That's why I've always thought planting food plots is a waste of time and money...
Unless you just enjoy the process. It's the only reason I do it any more. Doesn't mean shit to the deer...

jlane

dunn nc
and we do enjoy the process' it,s not about the bragging of the kill somtimes it,s the enjoyment of seeing a quality deer and drawing down and thinking your a dead deer, then allow him to walk away knowing you,ve just won the game to let him live to play another day, unless he,s a deffinite shooter,not knocking the ones who kills for the meat, we don,t, we just enjoy the sit and the bonus of seeing deer,with the oppertunity to harvest a true wallhanger, if it was all about killing a big buck it would be far less of a headache to go to a ranch where everything was already set up and walk in a stand and shoot (not my cup of tea) just as soon quit hunting, by the way that,s not hunting thats killing.just like the hunting shows all about the kill,

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm with you jlane. More about the hunt than the kill. I enjoy seeing if habitat improvements help my personal property. Being under 8 acres. . . Pretty limited to how much I can improve it.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Between our property and two neighboring tracts we have over 400 acres. We all practice quality deer management and share the same deer but we lose promising bucks every season. 1000 acres would not be enough. I wish you all the best but you may be better off to look elsewhere.

As far as the scrapes and rubs....we have rubs but not an over abundance. But scrapes? Every overhanging branch has one under it. With that said, most of the activity is at night.

Last edited:

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
and we do enjoy the process' it,s not about the bragging of the kill somtimes it,s the enjoyment of seeing a quality deer and drawing down and thinking your a dead deer, then allow him to walk away knowing you,ve just won the game to let him live to play another day, unless he,s a deffinite shooter,not knocking the ones who kills for the meat, we don,t, we just enjoy the sit and the bonus of seeing deer,with the oppertunity to harvest a true wallhanger, if it was all about killing a big buck it would be far less of a headache to go to a ranch where everything was already set up and walk in a stand and shoot (not my cup of tea) just as soon quit hunting, by the way that,s not hunting thats killing.just like the hunting shows all about the kill,

Huh? And Hicks agreeing has me scratching my head even more...