Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Another IKS as well

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Thanks everyone! Ill write up how it happened and some more pics tomm morning. Headed to see the hunger games with the wife, dont judge......

You still got a man card bro????
Kill a big buck in the morning, holding the wife's purse at night lmao!!!!!

angelzd28

Ok Ill try to keep this short. This season has been frustrating to say the least. Especially considering I put more time and effort into this off season then any before it. Last spring I purchased my first compound bow, practiced a ton, put out trail cams, dumped minerals and apples all summer, scouted with binocs and moved stands. Got great deer on camera, (check my TC thread) and was super excited for the season to start. Well.............. all my sits amounted to me seeing exactly one shooter prior to last sunday morning. The deer on camera were nowhere to be found and the doe sightings were a lot fewer then the last couple years. Needless to say I was starting to get discouraged and the gun season was quickly approaching and you all know what that means.

Well this past weekend rolls around and I roll outa bed sunday morning and call my dad. We hunt almost every weekend morning together about 125 yds apart on the same atv trail. He usually takes the better spot where the deer naturally funnel past his stand. Well no answer and no text back from my dad, so I decide to go it alone. I get smoked up, drive to our spot and lug my 40 pound summit to "my dads spot" This is a great spot to see deer all morning as they head to bed, but on this morning nothing for the first 1.5 hours, looks like my season of frustration will continue. I hit the grunt tube around 730 and I think I hear a soft grunt in return but nothing after that. Well 815 rolls around and I decide to hit the grunt tube again, and this time I def here a grunt response to my left. I look over and 50 yds from me stands a buck and he looks like he is heading right to me. I quickly stand up, grab my bow and hook my release. Unfortunately for me I didn't see the doe that was standing 10 yds in front of the buck. not sure if she saw me but she turns around to avoid him and he turns as well to give chase. I hit my tube hoping to turn him/her and I see him do a quick 180. She must have decided to play nice and trotted 20 yds directly in front of me into a great shooting lane.

So...... here he comes and I go to draw my bow back and lets just say sitting for 2 hours in the cold and being nervous, I barely get it drawn and he is trotting into the shooting lane. I give him a MEH to stop him and he does, directly behind the only tree in my shooting lane, and looks up directly at me! Im still holding my draw and we have a good 10 second stare down, before luckily the doe starts to walk off. He forgets the guy in the treestand and slowly walks out from behind the tree and when my site is mid chest I release. He takes off and I can see I hit him as blood is spilling out of him. He runs 50 yds, stops and piles up within site.

I give it a few minutes then call my dad, 4 times before he picks up and give him the good news! Of course he gives me shit for hunting his spot, im a dirt bag, I cant believe you shot a buck, yada yada. Of course he is super excited and he comes and helps me drag it out.

To wrap up this season provided a lot of learning about staying patient and sticking with it, and in the end I ended up killing a great buck, and it was my first compound bow kill to boot! Sorry for the long post but thought sharing it with you guys would be worth it. PS, thanks J for starting the IKS thread.

Family.jpg top.jpg