Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bad day today in the field

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I got in the ladderstand at 6:30. Calm and clear.
8:15 a little fawn buck with spikes 1" long came out of the hay field and fed through the turnips and into the clover plot in front of me.
8:25 the little guy stops and keeps staring to the south where he came from.
8:30 out steps the one antler buck that ran past me on Thursday. When I seen him Thursday I thought his left antler was broken off and blood was running down his face. But no the antler is there and dark brown going all the way down to his mouth. It didn't seem to bother him as I took pictures of him and the little spike butting heads and pushing each other around. That was cool.
Try as I could at 40 yds with 7 power binocs it sure looked like the deformed antler was attached just further down than normal.
I thought it would be neat to take a real freak antler buck so I set my HHA sight for 40 yds and when he was full broadside with the right shoulder facing me I took the shot. He ducked the shot and I hit him right at the top of the shoulder and the arrow went in half way. Both bucks turned and run back
the same way they came.
I could follow them through the tree tops where they ran through the hayfield to the tractor path across a small creek.
I waited till 9:30 and went to the tractor path and found couple drops of blood. He went into heavy brush about 25 yds in and I found the broken top half of my arrow. As soon as I found the arrow I hear and see 2 deer running next to me. Two does went both sides me at 20 ft and then just stood there and stared at me. Then the big 10 pt buck I've been seeing ran up to within 15 ft of me and was he pissed off. He kept looking at me with a bobbing head for 2-3 minutes and he figured me out and turned tail and ran off. The way he was acting I thought he was going to attack.
Almost immediately after finding my arrow I start seeing large piles of red blood every 10 ft or so. This continued for about 75 yds. then it was a just a drop every 10 ft or so for 25 yds. The brush opened up into a hay field and found 2 drops then it stopped. I searched every which way, all the edges, trails, weed patches for 100's of yds and nothing.
My back lasted 2 hrs then I could go anymore. I texted my nephew and he came down. We both looked and searched everywhere and never found another drop. We looked for another 2 hrs and he had to go to the shop.
Now it's a light rain. A real sad day on the farm.
My son is supposed to bring his thermo imaging unit down to night and look.

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sorry to hear it too, Frank. It stinks. Lots of deer have been wounded this year, and as is always said, it's part of it. Sure doesn't make it any easier to accept. Good luck finding him!

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Back to the area and find nothing. But we noticed there was 2 ground blinds within 100 yds of the last drop of blood. Plus a tree stand about 300 yds away. All 3 stands in the direction the buck was traveling. Seemed like there was fresh tire tracks in the grass.
I'll check with the landowner and see if anyone just happened to see a deer drop dead up there and saved it from going to waste.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Hopefully someone put the finishing touch on him Frank..... Always a kick too the gut when this happens.......

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sorry to read this Frank! I know your pain and frustration from not finding Karissa's deer yet. Hope you find out something soon so keep us updated! Good luck!

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hate to hear it Frank. Hope you are feeling well after all of that.

I'm doing Ok. Had a rough Saturday night with my MS leg spasms and back, Sunday was rough until after noon. Checked back there then did 4 hrs of 223 trimming in afternoon. That went great and just a set down and watch job. They brought me another 50K to do as I asked to get ahead so I'm off during gun season. going to do another run this afternoon and will only have 2 short runs to do. At 3500 per hour it doesn't take long when it clicking along.

I was 17 ft up in a ladderstand, and the ground slopes off 3-4 ft in the 40 yd shot so I'm 20-21 ft above the deer. So the angle of entry was about 45 degrees, everything would have been OK if he wouldn't have jumped the string and by doing so his right shoulder went backwards. That in my opinion caused the arrow to hit hit and forward.
Not trying to get out of the guilt of the bad hit but I feel everything was done correctly. By the direction he was moving around he wasn't coming my way but walking to the North.

I plan to be in the same ladderstand Tuesday morning.

Haven't reached the landowner yet.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I ran the shot across my sight simulator program and from the angle and shot location it appears I got a single lung hit. The program instruction was 'light or no blood until after 50 yds, then drops followed by heavy blood spots, petering out to a drop here and there'. That's exactly the blood trail I had.
So if luck is on my side he will live and I will have a second chance at putting him down. I just hate the pain and suffering I caused him. I'll be watching my cam pictures for his appearance.