Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sleepless night ahead....

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Well, long story short cuz I'm whupped and need to get some sleep for a long day tomorrow.

Karissa and I were set up locked and loaded at 6:50 this morning. We were prepared to sit from dark to dark if it took that long.

I got a tap from Karissa at 9:40 with her pointing straight out from her to the inside corner she was watching and all I saw was a SLUNGER walking left to right with cornstalks hanging all over his horns. He was on a mission walking steady and fast like a zombie on steroids.

I whispered shooter and to grab your xbow quietly and quickly and get ready. He broke into the wood line 35 yards away and started veering away slightly. I grabbed my video camera in my right hand and hit the record button and a grunt tube in my left hand and let out a few grunts. While watching him thru the small screen on the cam I saw him stop and start looking our direction. I grunted again when he looked away and he took about 5-6 steps ahead and looked right up towards us kinda like looking through us at 30 yards but we weren't moving with Karissa already to shoot while sitting down and I filmed. After his short glance up he started angling further down the hill but angling closer and after me grunting again I stopped him smack dab in the middle of a nice wide shooting window and whispered, shoot. He started walking again and I grunted again in another great window and whispered shoot again but this time she did and made a perfect shot,IMO.

The impact sounded like a hollow pumpkin getting smacked with an axe and he spun outta there like his ass was on fire. From both of our perspectives the shot looked great as it entered about the 2nd or 3rd rib back angling down and forward into the chest cavity with about 8-10" of her 20" bolt sticking out at an angle.

After about a half hour we climbed down and inspected the shot site and found good blood immediately and that really had us pumped! We tracked him 120 yards with not much trouble to where he crossed the road not 30 yards from my truck. We waited another hour for a friend(Dennis) to show up and help track and drag.

We tracked him another 300 yards with great blood with plenty of bubbles which substantiated our thoughts that we caught lung. Unfortunately I needed to secure permission to go any further and that didn't happen till an hour after dark.

So, we decided to pull out after alittle looking around trying to just establish a direction he was headed from our last blood location.

I'm sorry it's taken so long to post today but I've been busy! The other sad and depressing thing is I didn't press the record button hard enough any got none of the most awesome footage I thought I've ever laid down! That was a real kick in the junk!!!!! I did get him on video on a trail camera I had set up over a scrape about 60 to 70 yards away prior to him bring spotted by Karissa! He had cornstalks hanging off both sides of his rack as he was walking towards our position just like he did when he walked to us.

Damn, what a day!!!! Wish us luck! Oh, he was a friggin DANDY of a buck!!! Prolly 150+!!!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Oh, the reason Karissa didn't shoot when I whispered the first time was because she couldn't see through the scope cuz of the suns glare into the scope! She made me very proud today as she held it together and made a great shot! Just hope we find the deer tomorrow!

epe

Lancaster
Good luck tomorrow. I was wondering why you didnt respond to my text today...lol. Nice cold night so the meat will be good overnight.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You got this. Looking forward to her hero shots. Don't forget to hit the record button for the shots.

Too soon? I'm sorry brother. When we chatted I could tell you were sick about missing the footage.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Good Stuff Ric! I ain't gonna lie....I didn'the sleep well either. Don't forget the peroxide bottle. It can be your friend and speed things up sometimes. Here is too you both for a fast recovery. I'll be waiting on stand phone in hand. Good Luck!