Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Biggest deer out of my hometown in Tucky.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
No justice?

I think what he meant was not always the most deserving gets the big buck but over the years many hunters have just been in the right place at the right time. Although they did have a lot of luck on their side to be afforded an opportunity for a shot they did make that shot count though.

Case in point:

I remember 20 years ago or so in SE Ohio and group of hunter from out of town all headed to deer camp with thoughts of catching up with buddies,eat and drink and play cards like kings in the evenings and chase big bucks all day long through the week. There were 4-5 of them and one of there buddies couldn't make it down till Friday afternoon due to work and no vacation. Them guys joked about him all week long and gave him shit Friday evening when he showed up.

None of the others though had seen a shooter buck all week long and have been hunting there asses off. Saturday morning found the same 4-5 original diehards out in their stands before first light but the newest member over slept due to too much beer and not enough sleep. He heads out to a stand that the guys hadn't seen squat out of all week and climbs up in about 9 am.

He was tagged out and had his deer at the checking station within an hour and a half from when he first sat down in that stand with a buck that had a huge frame and a basic 7x7 frame. This story was told to me by the guy checking in deer at the check in station about an hour after the guy came through.

Situations like this is what I think Mike was talking about......imagine how the other guys at camp felt! LMAO

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'll add another scenario.

My dad has hunted off and on for most of his life, but it's nothing he's ever been passionate about. He basically went because his brothers needed him to beat brush and occasionally, he'd kill one for the meat. By the time I was ate up with it in my early 20's, he still could care less. Gun season 2004, I had to beg him to hunt opening morning. He shot a doe and sat at camp the rest of the day. That Saturday he asked me where he should sit behind the house just in case he wanted to get some fresh air. I gave him a spot, which he went to at 2PM. By 2:30, he'd killed the biggest deer anyone in our family (one full of good, diehard hunters) has ever killed. He followed up that 21" wide 167" 10 point with exactly an hour's worth of hunting over the next decade, in which he killed a 130" 9 the next fall in his first 5 minutes of hunting on our farm. He hasn't hunted the farm since and has spent all of 45 minutes behind the house. He didn't even want to mount either deer and didn't really comprehend how big his 10 point was, despite being a very intelligent man. Did he "deserve" either buck? Depends on how you look at it. I've spent 1,500 hours in a tree on the farm and haven't killed a buck yet. He's spent 5 and has a nice one on the wall. So when Mike says there's no justice, I know just what he means.

Last edited:

HeartLunger

Lundy

I've spent 1,500 hours in a tree on the farm and haven't killed a buck yet. He's spent 5 and has a nice one on the wall. So when Mike says there's no justice, I know just what he means.

LOL, maybe there is a lesson somewhere to be learned from these type of stories

Hogmister13

Y'all prob won't believe this but a biologist checked the teeth as well as the taxidermist and they both said the deer was only 2 1/2 to 3 years old. I do know it was the smallest body on a buck I've seen and the taxidermist is having to use a doe form to mount it . It's hard to believe a deer can get that big considering where it was killed with no crops for miles. That's why my town has not produced many big deer over the years due to high pressure and no farm crops. I know of one bean field in this town and it was nowhere near where it was killed. Had a good acorn crop last year but I don't believe acorns alone can Grow horns like that in one year
. My opinion Either this deer is a pen deer that got loose or it has some Hercules genetics .

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Y'all prob won't believe this but a biologist checked the teeth as well as the taxidermist and they both said the deer was only 2 1/2 to 3 years old. I do know it was the smallest body on a buck I've seen and the taxidermist is having to use a doe form to mount it . It's hard to believe a deer can get that big considering where it was killed with no crops for miles. That's why my town has not produced many big deer over the years due to high pressure and no farm crops. I know of one bean field in this town and it was nowhere near where it was killed. Had a good acorn crop last year but I don't believe acorns alone can Grow horns like that in one year
. My opinion Either this deer is a pen deer that got loose or it has some Hercules genetics .

I often wonder if the aging methods are accurate. Not the ones biologists use, but how we age them on the hoof and thru pictures.

I believe it could be free range. Baiting is legal. Plenty of pressure. A land owner could supplement the feed a couple years until the deer turns into slammer.

Bigcountry40

I think what he meant was not always the most deserving gets the big buck but over the years many hunters have just been in the right place at the right time. Although they did have a lot of luck on their side to be afforded an opportunity for a shot they did make that shot count though.

Case in point:

I remember 20 years ago or so in SE Ohio and group of hunter from out of town all headed to deer camp with thoughts of catching up with buddies,eat and drink and play cards like kings in the evenings and chase big bucks all day long through the week. There were 4-5 of them and one of there buddies couldn't make it down till Friday afternoon due to work and no vacation. Them guys joked about him all week long and gave him shit Friday evening when he showed up.

None of the others though had seen a shooter buck all week long and have been hunting there asses off. Saturday morning found the same 4-5 original diehards out in their stands before first light but the newest member over slept due to too much beer and not enough sleep. He heads out to a stand that the guys hadn't seen squat out of all week and climbs up in about 9 am.

He was tagged out and had his deer at the checking station within an hour and a half from when he first sat down in that stand with a buck that had a huge frame and a basic 7x7 frame. This story was told to me by the guy checking in deer at the check in station about an hour after the guy came through.

Situations like this is what I think Mike was talking about......imagine how the other guys at camp felt! LMAO

This is why I love deer camp and deer hunting, great story