Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The One That Got Away

Mao

Coshocton, OH
I have nothing fresh to add, but sorry that you won't get another crack at him. You did all you could. Keep your head up and good luck the rest of the way Mike.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sucks you didn't get him, but it has to feel better knowing where he ended up. Fresh slate for you Mike. You can shoot whatever you want now with no remorse!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Nice you have closure.
Like i have said before,deer are one tough animal,you shoot us like that we are gonna roll over.lol

Ditto! You did everything you could on your follow up Mike! The deer was still alive and taken by another dedicated hunter and you have closure. I wish I was you though...but at least now you know and can move on.

Good luck the rest of the season buddy!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Kinda puts the whole no mans land thing to bed doesn't it. Lol. Glad you found out what happened buddy. Now get back out there and make it happen. Plenty of season left.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Kinda puts the whole no mans land thing to bed doesn't it. Lol. Glad you found out what happened buddy. Now get back out there and make it happen. Plenty of season left.
Yea no kidding! Hard for anyone to argue the existence of "no man's land" after that story.

Sorry it didn't work out for you, Mike, but at least now you know what happened.

Kaiser878

ohio
I wish we had a photo of exsctly where the arrow entered and exited. I'm curious....

Because the arrow could have potentially hit one lung..... things like this amaze me.... these animals are tough... I woild have never believed a deer could live with a punctured lung.... but I have gutted two of them in 4 years that had a completely decimated lung.... and we're extremely healthy otherwise.

runhunter

I wish we had a photo of exsctly where the arrow entered and exited. I'm curious....

Because the arrow could have potentially hit one lung..... things like this amaze me.... these animals are tough... I woild have never believed a deer could live with a punctured lung.... but I have gutted two of them in 4 years that had a completely decimated lung.... and we're extremely healthy otherwise.

I have seen it also, on a winter bow deer... one lung was black and shriveled. You'd have never known. Sure as hell adds another level of respect for their will to survive

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member

Yeah, I wish I could've been there when he got it, gutted it, and skinned it. I believe that my arrow entered just below the spine and clipped or punctured the opposite lung. Based on the steep angle, I can't see how the arrow would be 1" from the spine and not at least clip the opposite lung. I could see no man's land if I were on the ground or low in the tree, but I was a good 25-30' above him because of the angle of the hill (he was on the downside of it). Plus, the blood had a few bubbles in it.

Kaiser878

ohio
This is why I like guns. You put a punkin ball in em, you eat 'em. Remember that, Zach.
I know.. I know.....

I really wish I could get my old phone to turn on..... the pictures of the deer I gutted for a friend 4 years ago would have toy scratching ur head......

The deer was missing a lung.... and there was a perfectly round hole about the size of a quarter in its one rib on the side the lung was missing. To this day I can't explain it..... how could a slug only get through one lung and not penetrate the other lung? Absolutely one of the craziest things I have ever seen in my life.... I gotta get thay old phone to turn on

Kaiser878

ohio
No.... that's why I want to find the pictures. It's the most amazing thing I've ever seen. The wound was healed over completely, so i assume it was from previous yesr. Since thw deer was shot in warly october. ... but the part that got me started thinking, wtf, was the deer didn't bleed red blood. It literally looked like pepto bismol....

I never gut with gloves.... I did use gloves on this deer. When I opened the deer up it was solid pink fluid.... literally, peptobismol.

The lung cavity was divided left to rt. And I believe it was the rt lung.... was all shriveled up and was basicly scar tissue... I didnt do through the mess.... I was honestly grossed out.... ive never seen anything like it.... I honestly wouldn't expect anyone to believe me.... that's why I wish I could get that phone to turn on.