Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hopeful...

runhunter

I don't tend to put a whole lot of stock in finding a good rub, or even a few here and there, because most of the places I hunt, are very highly pressured, so natural movement and is always being altered. Anyway, I had a group of 6 bucks in a piece this summer, and 2 of them were really nice 8's (120"+), one was a 10 that could be pushing 140", and a real framey, wide 6 point that I don't care what he scores. I always had a soft spot for big 6's because they're not real common. There hasn't been much sign of them since September, no surprise, so there hasn't been a whole lot to really get excited about. I know this piece pretty well, and have seen some of the road kills, and pics of other deer killed here, so I refuse to give up on it. Sooner or later, I know a good one will show. I may not kill him, but I always feel like I'm in the game there, and that's what's important. I had a camera stolen in September, and have yet to put another one in this piece, so I really don't know what's there, except for what I've seen with my eyes.

Yesterday, I was scouting for our upcoming muzzle loader season, and came across this rub, along with a few fresh scrapes within eye sight. It's on some high ground, between two really thick, wet bottom, swampy areas. Either he has some really long legs, or one of the big boys is back in town. The very top gouge is right around my old man's nipple, and he's 5'11. Just to give you an idea of the height of where his tips were touching. It may mean nothing, but without a camera out, it's the best I got haha.

rub.jpg6.jpg