Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Proposed Deer Management Units

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I haven't given it much thought , but my first reaction looking at it is Wtf?
We'll see how it turns out . Seems like they change enough every yr to keep people on their toes , but this seems pretty major .

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I will be split into two different sections. Where I do most of my hunting is lumped in with counties heading west to Indiana and traditionally low deer density areas. On my personal woods, this property is lumped in with Bellefountaine and these areas of higher deer density. I am scratching my head. Honestly? Just looks like they used 1-75 to split areas because it was a convenient dividing line. Sure isn't because the difference in deer 2-3 miles away (as the crow flies.)

Like I said. It has nothing to do with managing deer.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Roads and rivers are easy dividing lines. That's what happen in Butler County use the N-S river to split the county into 2 units.
Haven't looked but i would think high and low populations has something to do with the units. More people in a area there is less room to deer so they think plus it cuts down on accidents.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
Not sure I'm liking this. A major road splits two units in my area, and I hunt on both sides of that road. Curious to see what the differences are as I don't see any major changes in the size of the deer herd from one side of the road to the other.

I would see this as an advantage. You can get permits for both areas and kill more doe.

Although a lottery system might help with the tiny public areas that get wiped out every year

Now that is one good thing that Michigan has done well on and that's separate public from private when it comes to antlerless permits. Knowing that state land gets pounded much harder there are different quotas when it comes to those antlerless permits. Will be interesting to see where it goes from there.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I wonder if they're going to drop the bag limits again next year. Anybody keeping up with the harvest numbers this year compared to the last couple seasons? I haven't seen them yet this year.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
Some ODNR employees trying to justify their jobs. Has Zody's replacement been hired yet?

So what happens when you shoot and the deer runs to a different zone. Lets just ban shooting does on public areas.