Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Steel force phatheads

Kaiser878

ohio
Looking ahead to next year, I'm looking for heads for jen... I got her all set up with her bow and she has been shooting a little. If all is well by next year, I plan to get her in a tree.

She will likely be pulling 40ish lbs. So I was looking at the steel force phatheads in 75gr. What's everyone's opinion of them? I've heard a lot of good things.... as of rt now that's what I'm leaning towards.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I shot them several years ago. Carpn turned me onto them. I shot a few deer with them... all fell within sight. They won't give you a Rage-type blood trail, as with most other cut-on-contact fixed blades, but they are one of the toughest heads out there IMO. The blades, if I'm not mistaken, are .080" thick, almost twice as thick as the majority of the competitors. And I know this is cliche, but they're some of the sharpest out-of-the-package heads I've found thus far. I really had no reason to stop shooting them, other than simply wanting to try something else.

Is there a reason you want her to shoot 75 gr instead of 100 gr? I would assume the gain in speed would be fairly negligible. 100 grains would give her many more options. Magnus Stingers are my current favorite broadhead. Excellent performance and very tough. Lifetime, no questions asked, warranty as well. As long as you don't lose a head, you'll have one for life. They really stand behind their product at Magnus.

Kaiser878

ohio
I just wanna try to keep the arrows as light as possible. 40 lbs isn't much.... so I figured she would be better suited with 75 grain heads.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Jess killed a couple deer shooting 75 grain muzzys shooting 41# draw weight and 2013 xx75 15 yrs ago . Made 2 holes in both deer she shot .