Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shotgun and scope questions

CASEYAMMONS

Hey guys, question for you? A friend has invited me to hunt with him at his farm in Jackson county. I am from North Carolina and will be there for the week after Thanksgiving and the late gun at the end if December. I can bring a Muzzleloader or a shotgun and shoot rifled slugs. Just hate having the single shot of the muzzy. If I bring the shotgun, should I mount a $100 scope on it? Is the 8x32 Bushnell good enough for the short range shot I will have with the shotgun? Any suggestions would be great. Starting to get stoked about the trip. Thanks!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
First off, welcome too the site....

What's your shotgun setup? Rifled barrel or smooth bore? There are some really decent scopes in the 100-150 range in the 2.5 x 4 power.... I like the nikons and leupolds for shotguns/muzzleloaders....

CASEYAMMONS

Do the rifled slugs not shoot consistently enough to bother with a scope? If not, then I am going to bring the smoke and deal with it. This will be much different than hunting with my 7mm Win Mag. I am guessing that you need to get the deer very close for the shotgun to be effective?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I just bought my first shotgun with a scope on it. I had been using a rifled barrel 870 but have always shot it open sights. Will try the Savage 220 with scope sometime. Not sure how accurate a smooth bore will be regardless of slug used. I am certain someone more experienced will have a more detailed opinion on the smooth bore.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I think mossberg sells a rifled barrel with a scope already mounted to it as a combo. I have the same thing for my remington. I think they are low end Bushnell scopes but they work great. You will need to get sabots for the rifled barrel instead of slugs.

Rifled slugs out of a smooth bore fly just fine. A lot of deer have been dropped with smooth bore open site slug guns.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've seen a few smooth bores that shot foster slugs like track drivers. I would first shoot a box or two of slugs through it to see what it does. If it holds a good group, then definitely put a scope on it and leave the muzzy at home.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I'd go with the muzzleloader if it's already set up and sighted in. Can't remember ever wishing I had a second shot while deer gun hunting.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My 33 yr old Rem 1100 smooth bore slug barrel shoots great. It's killed every deer I shot at for 33 yrs. and that a whole lot.
A Mossberg 500 smooth bore slug barrel I bought in 1977 shoots 1-2" 3 shot groups at 100 yds. with a 4 power scope.
Most inaccurate smooth bore shotgun slug shooting is caused by the shooter.

Last edited:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I think mossberg sells a rifled barrel with a scope already mounted to it as a combo. I have the same thing for my remington. I think they are low end Bushnell scopes but they work great. You will need to get sabots for the rifled barrel instead of slugs.

Rifled slugs out of a smooth bore fly just fine. A lot of deer have been dropped with smooth bore open site slug guns.

This is the money-shot post right here. Rifled barrel with sabot slugs is an accurate, deadly, and little bit expensive combo.
If you own a Mossberg 500 12 gauge combo, there's no other gun you need. mischeif.gifmischeif.gif

antiqucycle

East Ohio
A good 12 or 20 gauge with a solid scope mount, 2.5 power scope even with a smooth barrel and remington sluggers Will take down deer out to 150 yards if you "practice practice practice" at that distance. Yes you can waste $5 each for super sabot slugs, but your better off practicing with 10 boxes of cheap remington or federal or winchester slugs. Too many people buy a box of 5 super expensive "sabots" but never practice after sighting a gun in off a bench rest.

a muzzleloader is adequate too, maybe better at long ranges but again, some sabots are a pain to load in January when you get 5 below zero weather in Ohio.

Whatever you bring, go out and practice shooting 4 or 5 times, from a standing position, not a bench rest.

Lundy

Ask your friend in Jackson county what kind of terrain you will be hunting, normal shot opportunity to expect. How do they hunt, stand only or do the drive also?

You should be able to easily determine which gun is better suited from what your experience will actually be, then bring them both:D

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Nothing wrong with a smooth bore with a scope on top. I had one that went through my house fire. I didn't trust it after that and bought a fully rifled barrel. I will be honest out to 100 yards the smooth bore shot just as good as the rifled. Granted after 100 the rifled barrel does shine a little brighter. But I have only shot one deer over a hundred yards. Most of my gun kills are 50 or less. If your shooting a smooth bore mossburg. The usually like the Remington pumpkin ball slugs. Good luck and welcome.