Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

"Success"

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I was speaking to someone the other day about sometimes this website is a blessing and a curse. There are some unrealistic expectations garnered from other people's pictures and completely different hunting scenarios. I personally lived my kill this year as it was truly unique and I had a blast. Not a big buck by any stretch but I won't regret letting that arrow go at all. I'd love to have a goal like Zach does but I don't have the free time to run and do all the work he does to be successful. Nor do I have the deer he does so I have to " keep it real" for me.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Great story. I haven't seen a deer since Halloween while hunting but still get up early and go when I could sleep in. Today while walking back to my truck and looking at the last bit of red blood sunset makes it all worth it. I seen some fresh tracks today and was so excited that I text my buddy to let him know about them lol.

Kaiser878

ohio
I was speaking to someone the other day about sometimes this website is a blessing and a curse. There are some unrealistic expectations garnered from other people's pictures and completely different hunting scenarios. I personally lived my kill this year as it was truly unique and I had a blast. Not a big buck by any stretch but I won't regret letting that arrow go at all. I'd love to have a goal like Zach does but I don't have the free time to run and do all the work he does to be successful. Nor do I have the deer he does so I have to " keep it real" for me.
I told ya before eric..... Ur welcome to come hunt with me any time you want.....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia

That was you and I. It was after I told my dad that if I wasn't invested in this place like I am, I'm not sure I'd be putting forth the effort I do. There are days I hunt because that's what's expected of me. I feel an obligation to generate content and it pushes me to do stuff I might otherwise ignore. And it's help create unrealistic expectations of myself considering where I hunt. Not blaming anyone, just saying how I feel.

buckstar25

T-county
"Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher 'standard of living' is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free. For us of the minority, the opportunity to see geese is more important than television."

Aldo Leopold

This is the quote I read when I took my snack break, just before I watched that big 8 stand up from his bed. I'm not gonna lie, I'd have loved to see the arrow pass through him! It didn't, but the meaning behind his statement could have not held more importance after the miss.

Last edited:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Its funny how we can get so involved in a particular deer or task..... Then forget about the big picture that brought us here. Keeps you from seeing all the small sparkles along the way. I'm guilty for sure.

Success for me is really measured in preparedness. If I step in the woods knowing I've done everything possible to take down an animal as humanely as possible I'm successful. I know my equipment limitations, and never push the envelope. I make a shooting lane and will only take a shot at a deer in that lane, no where else. I set my stands so a deer must be in range when it enters my shooting lane. When a deer enters my shooting lane I've been successful whether I shoot or not.

I am goal oriented to be sure though. My last goal was set at age 60, it is to kill 10 more Ohio deer with 8 points or more. I've killed two so far. Number of inches doesn't matter. I'll most likely not reach that goal, because of the deer that I took last year after hunting only him for three seasons.

But, wait, I may have a chance. Friday I spent the morning helping my 87 year old dad get his crossbow sighted back in after replacing the string. Time just may be on my side after all.

Jason Short

Wayne County
For me success is simply hunting how I want to on that specific day (or year) and enjoying myself. I feel like this has been a very successful year for me so far simply because I managed to get out there and see a decent amount of deer on public land in my first year hunting much. I managed to take a small buck and had a lot of fun doing it. Someday I might not feel like I had a successful season unless I harvest a big buck. But as long as I'm hunting how I want to and not how other people expect me to I'll be happy. I hope I never get sucked into hunting for bragging rights or to impress other people, because at that point I don't think I would enjoy myself any more.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
Good tread. The emotions I feel through out deer season is just crazy. Ups and downs. And seeing 200" deer. Keeps me going even though i've been eating tag soup for two years so far.
What sux is not being able to hunt more. But i'm happy if i'm not disturbed by some stupid stuff. I just hope for one chance every year. That's my goal. The inches is a bonus.

Buckmaster

Portage
Success for me.....

Seeing a deer within 25 yards on each hunt.
Assisting others to achieve their personal achievements and successes.
Being a Mentor.

runhunter

Great topic, and it definitely reels us back in a bit. Makes ya stop and think about what you situation you're in. I think the biggest thing to keep in mind, and it's already been said, is being realistic about what you have to hunt. If you watch all the shows, and hunt where I do, and set your goals at a 130" deer, the stress and aggravation are going to cut years off your life haha. I spend every minute I can in a tree, and while I am still chasing a goal of killing a 120+, I still don't pass up the shots that can make for a good season. If you're in Kaiser's situation, a 140" is very realistic and should be the bar he sets. That's been the toughest thing for me, over the years, to accept the hand I'm dealt. You find yourself in quite a pickle when you've graduated mentally from just killing any buck, to "THE" buck, but odds are the geographic situation just won't allow for it. It's tough to come to grips with, lol... ask my wife!!!!

Gordo

Athens County
I'll echo everyone elses thoughts...

Ive had a slow year. Numbers are down in terms of sightings. Way down. Alot of down time.

That being said, any time in the woods is good time. Put it in perspective....

How many folks get to 'be a part' of a sunrise or sunset like we do?

How many folks ever experience that meditative 'zone' we fall into while sitting on stand forever? The one where you have no idea where your mind was for the past couple hours.

How many folks ever experience that clarity of thought that sitting in the woods can bring you during times when life is overwhelming?

There's a shit ton more to a successful hunt then killing. If there wasnt, there is no way this forum even exist.

Bottom line: the act of being able to go on a hunt is success in itself. People who dont truly feel that dont last long as hunters. We'd have all of quit a LONG time ago if there was not more to it then killing.

Back to counting leafs for this guy! Over and out

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Right on Gordo! uploadfromtaptalk1447710112879.jpguploadfromtaptalk1447710159937.jpg

buckstar25

T-county
Big thanks to Kaiser for offering his services.

Too many details to go over but not too many people would offer their help on a whim. It's been a rough couple days in regards to the self esteem. I lost the biggest buck I've ever taken a shot at. Success? Well I'm still trying to find the silver lining in this one. 3.5 hours with a pretty cool dog (Kaiser your ok too) and another 5 today, blood dried up on us last night. Grid searched a huge area today and turned up nothing. On a lighter note, Zach, my buddy said he saw his life flash before his eyes when Ace came down the hill!

Kaiser878

ohio
Ha no problem man..... eas my pleasure and id do it again. I wasn't doing anything else. Good exercise. .. ha

For those who wete not therr, the gas line is about 300 yards almost straight up.....we were done searching and I wanted to let ace run some steam off. So ace went up the mowed gas line. ace came barreling off the hill in the dark and literally plowed into his buddies legs full tilt. I about shit my pants. Haha

Last edited:

buckstar25

T-county
Again, I don't post much and since this post was important to me I didn't want to add another topic when it pertained to everything every member added to this thread.

Youth season found me finishing up my week long bow vacation with out filling my tag. My middle daughter was itching to get in the woods. A crazy Saturday put us late getting to my cabin, but the excitement was amplified for her when (during the drive down) we saw 2 huge bucks chasing does. After a little pep talk, telling a few stories from my childhood I could tell she was getting tired so we turned the lanterns off and tried to sleep.

4:00 a.m. and I was wide awake so I made us the usual camp breakfast. We ate, talked some more about where her shots would be and how many hand warmers she was going to need. She layered the clothes on, strapped the Carhartt bibs, added the oversized orange coat (loaded with more hand warmers) and finally put on the Rocky Snowstalkers that have to be the most dilapidated boots on the face of the earth, but they are 1200 grams and offered enough room for hand warmers in the toe.

We set out into the snow lit woods around 6:00 headed for my dad's blind. On the way up the cam snapped our picture. We got to the blind, got situated and watched the woods wake up. To my surprise she was more into watching the woodpeckers and squirrels than the screen of a phone (which I offered). 5 hours in the cold blind and we didn't lay eyes on a deer but she never got discouraged, she truly enjoyed our time together, her time "alone".
HUNT0032.JPG
IMG_20161120_102025369_HDR.jpg

I decided to head back to let her warm up and then do a couple little drives to give her some time with my dad. Again, both pushes ended with no deer. But the pictures of her and my dad, the stories he told her about taking me, and the advice a 50 year deer hunting veteran gave her are all freaking awesome!

At around 2:00 we decided to head to another property to hunt. This property has a permanent box blind on it, and is in a great section of the county. The blind is situated in a way that if deer come from the right side it puts you in a hard spot because of the lay of the land. I adjusted the side window with some paracord so I had just enough opening to watch our right. I was in a hurry and forgot to grab a chair, my knees were creaking, back was aching, so rather than the youth hunter being unable to hold still, it was me!

As the afternoon grew shorter, she kept intently watching the "tunnels", always saying that sooner or later they gotta show up "right dad"? We talked about patience and about different scenarios that would play out depending on where the deer were and, if the deer didn't show up, how would she define her day. Would it be "successful"?

At 5:06 she asked me what time it was, and then asked how much time we had. My knees were killing me so I stood up and moved to the back corner of the blind. I pulled my sleeve back and told her the time and I peeked out the right window. I heard her say something. I looked at her and asked what she said. With her head down (cause that's what I said had to happen if deer came from the right) she said excitedly...."deer, dad there's a deer". I couldn't believe it, so I asked again. She said even more excited....."DEER, KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN". She told me exactly where it was, I kneeled back down slowly and looked up the hill to the right. Sure enough there he was, a young 8 point, standing in one of the tunnels looking out into the field if forage radishes.

At this point she had the Circuit Judge laying across her lap. She is right handed so we had our work cut out for us to try and get a shot. I calmly told her that we were gonna be ok as long as she moved when the buck wasn't looking. The buck came into the field, grabbed a radish and ate it. She moved a little bit. He then walked another 10 yds and started making a rub. I told her "now", she swung the gun, and her body to the right to get ready for me to out the shooting sticks under the rifle. After he made the rub, the buck walked another 10yds and turned to look up the hill. I didn't even have to tell her, she had the rifle shouldered, but the barrel was too low. The buck looked back, then turned to look up the hill again. I slid the shooting sticks under the rifle, she touched her cheek to the stock and said "I can see him". I reminded her to put the cross hairs "behind the shoulder".

The buck started walking right to left never out of her scope. I said when he stops again kill him. He stopped, I heard the hammer click, "breath"..."breath"...."squeeze" the buck disappeared! She freakin dropped him, and I mean he never took another step!

What happened next has played out over and over in every hunters lifetime. She was ecstatic, I was screaming, she gave herself the nickname "dead shot" and we sat there in disbelief. She said, "you said it only takes a second for your day to change". The whole thing lasted less than 3 minutes!

For me, another day going home without a deer would have been success. I think for her it would have been a success too. Things happen for a reason, we gave thanks, dressed the deer out, and she helped me drag him back to the house. What an awesome day....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That is fantastic! Thank you for sharing it with us. Congrats to all three generations involved.