Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Did I miss the RUT?

Murphy31

Western Mass
Was down in Carroll and Ashtabula counties the 6th through the 11th. It was pretty weird. 3 of us went. Saturday one guy saw 7 bucks and 4 does one of the bucks was chasing a doe. The other guy saw guy saw 6 bucks and 3 does. 3 of the bucks were chasing does. I saw 2 8 points, and another buck, but could only make out his main beams. One of the 8's was ripping up saplings and came in looking for a fight after I rattled and grunted him in from 54 yards. Shot him broadside at 20 yards. Sunday one guy saw 2 does. The other guy had an 8 which he says looked like an exact twin of the one I shot, and in the the afternoon had another 8 come in that he said was past his ears and had decent brow tines. I saw a basket rack 5 point that was with another deer, but I couldn't see what it was. That afternoon I had a deer come in when it was a little too dark and couldn't see what it was. Monday morning one guy saw a doe. The other had a 6 point chasing a doe around him. I saw 0 deer all day. Tuesday morning no one I was with saw any deer, but we were soaked from the rain. That afternoon one guy saw 3 does. One saw nothing at all, and at 458 I had a nice buck at 30 yards. He was wide and had decent tines, but he didn't have much mass. Then at 520 I had a buck at 70 yards come in and check a scrape. All I could make out was his main beams and they looked pretty nice. Wens morning only one doe was seen. We usually see a lot of does, so I'm not sure what happened to them all. Maybe all the young bucks pushed them off, or maybe they were just doing something different that week. We typically see double digit does per person while we are there, but I didn't see one the whole trip. We did see a giant on the the side of the road one morning, and almost hit a 130-140 inch buck driving to the property the first morning. We also saw a girl wack an 8 with a big body on 164 one afternoon while driving back to the hotel.