Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

IKS that I wish I had know 1.5 months ago.....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Nah. Since he mentioned it I'm genuinely curious what the correlation is. He said he's not blaming the head but I don't see any blood on the bucks mouth or nose leading me to believe it was a gut shot. Just wondering what a gut shot has to do with the head itself. Also since ST was bought out I've been keeping tabs on topics where people are using them to see if the performance has diminished. The day they got bought out I purchased 3 packs of heads and two packs of replacement blades.

Who bought em out Joe???

Kaiser878

ohio
How was the shot placement; what makes you believe the head had a bearing on the outcome?
I wouldn't have called it perfect. But it wasn't bad by any means. It was one lung and liver. Exited low on body, Maybe just above where the white and brown meet on the body. Ha I honestly wasn't impressed with the hole. I'd say it wasn't even the size of a quarter.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I wouldn't have called it perfect. But it wasn't bad by any means. It was one lung and liver. Exited low on body, Maybe just above where the white and brown meet on the body. Ha I honestly wasn't impressed with the hole. I'd say it wasn't even the size of a quarter.

You sure he got any lung at all? I don't see a drop of blood on that deers nose or mouth.
View attachment 38422

For the hole, a ST is 1 1/8 inch cut. A quarter is .005 mm short of an inch in diameter. I've seen them make holes that small but it's usually because the blades were duller than new. Like a head I had reused after shooting a previous deer. Out of the box they're the sharpest heads I've ever seen and I think that along with the blade angle leads to them popping open a hole bigger than the head. Usually they look about like these holes. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447417256.211686.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1447417270.467902.jpg

Kaiser878

ohio
You sure he got any lung at all? I don't see a drop of blood on that deers nose or mouth.
View attachment 38422

For the hole, a ST is 1 1/8 inch cut. A quarter is .005 mm short of an inch in diameter. I've seen them make holes that small but it's usually because the blades were duller than new. Like a head I had reused after shooting a previous deer. Out of the box they're the sharpest heads I've ever seen and I think that along with the blade angle leads to them popping open a hole bigger than the head. Usually they look about like these holes. View attachment 38423View attachment 38424
He said that's the third deer he's shot with them.... and all the blood trails have petered out.... wasn't there for the others, so I can't speak on them.

What little blood it did have in the mouth and nose I wiped off for the picture. U can see the hole in its side. It's about 4 inches from the crease. The diaphragm had a perfect hole in it from the head going through. Both cavities had blood in them.

I stated what head it was because that would have been the first question everyone asked, especially you. Everyone always hopes it's a rage for some odd reason.

I could care less what head it was.... I don't care what head you use. .... u will have issues at some point or another.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1447424951777.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1447424951777.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 110

Kaiser878

ohio
Also, not sure why.... but not all deer bleed out the mouth and nose when lung shot.... i can think of a lot of other deer that were lung shot that didn't bleed put the mouth and nose. Not sure why either.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I always wondered if my beagle would track a wounded deer. She doesn't run deer, but if there's blood (or food) involved maybe she would?

No jokes from the masses that know Molly... I know she's a fat fugger.

May not want too try that.... Bad results when one pops up when you're bunny hunting.....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
He said that's the third deer he's shot with them.... and all the blood trails have petered out.... wasn't there for the others, so I can't speak on them.

What little blood it did have in the mouth and nose I wiped off for the picture. U can see the hole in its side. It's about 4 inches from the crease. The diaphragm had a perfect hole in it from the head going through. Both cavities had blood in them.

I stated what head it was because that would have been the first question everyone asked, especially you. Everyone always hopes it's a rage for some odd reason.

I could care less what head it was.... I don't care what head you use. .... u will have issues at some point or another.

I don't think your lying man. Just wondering that's all.

I do find it hilarious though that what little blood it had in the mouth and nose you wiped off for the picture, but you didn't poke it's tongue back in. lol... That's like wiping before you poop man, don't make no sense.