Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What say you?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Yes, I didn't mean for that to be a blanket statement. Should have qualified it. The Top Flight and Crossover Combos come with the "lifeline".

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I just received 2 Muddy Crossover's and a youth Safeguard this week. The crossover's had a 30' ft lifeline included along with a lineman's belt. The youth safeguard only had the lineman's belt. I love the crossover and have it sitting outside descenting. My daughter really likes her Safeguard too. Can anyone tell me why there are two prusik knots on each lifeline?

I think every treestand should come with a lifeline. Most guys have a personal harness they bought separately. I always toss away the harness that comes with a stand. I would rather see the lifeline included. The cost of a lifeline has to be less than the harness included.

Last edited:

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I believe in case two people are going up the same tree.
Yup. I have a lifeline with 2 knots for my 2-man stand. My son and I used it the other day. I go up first with the top knot and he follows me with the bottom knot. Works slick as snot. Once I'm up I do hook myself to a separate tree strap. That way if one of us falls they don't pull the other person out of the stand too.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I sent out an email to many of the tree stand suppliers yesterday about considering including a lifeline instead of a harness with each stand they sell. Most guys have a personal harness of their own IF they are going to wear one. I always throw away the junk harness that comes with a stand anyway. A lifeline would be of a lot more use. So far I have no responses.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I sent out an email to many of the tree stand suppliers yesterday about considering including a lifeline instead of a harness with each stand they sell. Most guys have a personal harness of their own IF they are going to wear one. I always throw away the junk harness that comes with a stand anyway. A lifeline would be of a lot more use. So far I have no responses.

Makes almost too much sense to me Mike! Hope they change but they prolly won't.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I never wear those junk harnesses either. I have several in the garage still in the packaging. It would make more sense to include a lifeline instead of a harness but I'm almost certain that legally they have to include a saftey harness with every treestand.

That makes complete sense to me too Spencie. They have to realize most people do not use those harnesses they provide and even if they did, they wouldn't wear a different one to each stand they own! Lifelines with hang on stands is the smartest thing they could do. Of course then they have to explain weather effects, replacement time, etc...... LOL!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
My opinion is they're just filling a square putting those cheap, uncomfortable POS straps in there so if and when something happens they have their backsides covered....

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
My opinion is they're just filling a square putting those cheap, uncomfortable POS straps in there so if and when something happens they have their backsides covered....
J you are 100% right. It all comes down to liability. That's why they not only come with a harness, but they also come with a instructional DVD now.

That way no one can come back and say that the treestand company didn't show them how to properly use the harness.

If they include a lifeline they are actually as a company taking on more liability. If they don't properly educate their customers on how to use a lifeline properly they open themselves up to lawsuits also. It cost them even more money to educate the customer.

I don't like it any more than any of you guys, but thats the reality of the society we live in.

Don't have a lot of input as I have never really worn harness/lifelines for hunting (use them a lot for Rescue Training at work though) which is probably a poor decision I might add. One thing I would note is that being saved from a fall is very valuable but then the clock starts ticking between onset of "Suspension Trauma" which has been estimated by various safety related industries as early as 10-15 minutes after fall. This can be very lethal and related to an activity like hunting where you are alone there are many variables between when you fall and getting to the ground safely (i.e. if you get knocked unconscious by swing load or are unable to access your phone because it was in your pants pocket which is now synched by the harness). Anyways not to get into a lot more detail as I could ramble on for hours on the subject but I did find this as a very good product of which I had a lot of interest in if I was ever to get into the harness game. Its a mechanical descent device that would lower you to the ground in the event of a fall.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...d99999033794&gclid=CNL1gfePn8kCFQyFaQodOPMBVg\

EDIT: Just a point of reference for the price and how little the equipment is something like this could be invaluable at the point that you ever do fall especially if you were to become unconscious.

Last edited:

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Summit tree stands emailed me back and wants me to call them. It will probably be after next week before I can get back to them. I'm hoping it's more than just an explanation of why they can't add a lifeline to a new stand purchase because of costs to them.