Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Python locks

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Do these work for trail cameras? Also a decent master lock holding it shut, does that work well?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
If someone wants your stuff bad enough all they need is a pair of bolt cutters. Someone stole my buddies camera last year that he had locked up with a python cable and it looks like that whacked at it with a hatchet just by going off all the marks on the tree.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
If someone wants your stuff bad enough all they need is a pair of bolt cutters. Someone stole my buddies camera last year that he had locked up with a python cable and it looks like that whacked at it with a hatchet just by going off all the marks on the tree.

Wow that broke the lock? I was thinking they'd need good heavy bolt cutters to get them off. Did he have a real Python or cheaper bike lock style.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Had a guy steal my wireless cam last year that was locked with one of the big python locks. Being it was a wireless cam I got pics of him and recovered the camera. His excuse was he thought it was a trespasser. He said he cut the python cable with a large pair of bolt cutters.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I use them here and even used them on public land in Ohio to lock my cameras. I have yet to have one stolen and I know other people have walked by them. I don't think it's foolproof but what is. It's just a deterrent. Kind of like locking your car. If a thief wants it bad enough they'll get it but these locks can make it more difficult.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Like any security item, it keeps the semi honest people honest...

If they want it, they'll get it....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I use them here and even used them on public land in Ohio to lock my cameras. I have yet to have one stolen and I know other people have walked by them. I don't think it's foolproof but what is. It's just a deterrent. Kind of like locking your car. If a thief wants it bad enough they'll get it but these locks can make it more difficult.

This...

Agreed ^^^

The python cable locks are the most convenient I've used though for locking anything to a tree. The Covert cameras have the hole through the back that make it perfect to use and I have removed all the belts from them and just used the cable lock to attach the cams to the trees.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Still, I use the python cable locks as well.... Not going too put a camera up on a tree without them.... If the thieving bastards are going too take it, I'm not making it easier for them.....

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio

Exactly true. I use 3 of them I don't use a extra lock on the cam door. I just loop the cable around and pass through the cam door lock holes. One cam I had to take a drill and open up the holes couple thousands.
I use the cam strap to attach the cam to the tree and use the cables to lock it down. By using the cam's straps when I take the cable loose the cam stays in adjustment.
All 3 different makes of cams have a strap loop and a cable holes in the back.

Last edited:

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Agreed ^^^

The python cable locks are the most convenient I've used though for locking anything to a tree. The Covert cameras have the hole through the back that make it perfect to use and I have removed all the belts from them and just used the cable lock to attach the cams to the trees.
My Browning cameras have the loops on back to accommodate the Python locks too.

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
Had a guy steal my wireless cam last year that was locked with one of the big python locks. Being it was a wireless cam I got pics of him and recovered the camera. His excuse was he thought it was a trespasser. He said he cut the python cable with a large pair of bolt cutters.

Did he get a knuckle sandwich?