Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First Buck

jmmartin0208

First, I want to thank everyone that posts on here. I started hunting about three years ago and have learned so much from this forum. I really enjoy reading the live from the stand thread and seeing all the success TOO members have harvesting giant bucks every year.

I've passed on a few spikes and small 4's this year and glad I did as I finally had the chance at a mature buck yesterday morning.

Around 9:00 AM this fella came running through the thicket in front of me tongue dragging chasing a doe. I had already ranged a few trees and as luck has it he ran right behind a tree I had ranged at 32 yards.

Shot was just under 35 yards and I knew I hit him good as I could see about 8 inches of the arrow as he ran through the thicket away from me.

Tracking him turned out to be a bit of a chore as we only had blood about 20 yards from where I shot him and then nothing. It was nerve racking not finding any blood as I knew I had put a good shot on him. Being my first buck I started getting down on myself and second guessing how good the shot really was.

We eventually found him about 200 yards away. What I thought was him crashing was him crossing a creek but he only made it about 15 yards after crossing.

Although, he isn't a giant by any means being my first buck I have decided to shoulder mount him. I cant wait to see him hanging on my wall when I walk in from work everyday and get to relive such a great memory.

deer.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Congrats on the nice first buck, hopefully many more will follow in the years too come....

Way too stick with the tracking job and it paid off well....

Where did you end up hitting him? Where you thought? Sometimes the mind plays tricks on us lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
"Giant" is a relative term. In some areas, that deer IS a giant. Congratulations on your first buck. It is a very rewarding moment. Definitely one to be proud of.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Great job, I really like that deer - I like the way his main beam points out - do you have any pictures of him from the front?
Congrats on a fine deer - about 95% of the guys I know would not have passed on that guy
Very cool :smiley_coolpeace: