Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What a special morning with Jace

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I knew when we left the house it was going to be a good morning in the woods. We was running late but webwas going to be ok. We get in the stand at645 and the red jimmies were running around us as soon as we sit down. Jace is watching them chuckling to himself enjoying it as much as I was. Around 720 he whispered dad my feet are freezing. So I don't in the back pack and grab some hand warmers. As I'm digging around Jace says( dad deer). I look up and ask where. Where the went yesterday was his reply. I look out around 80 yards and sure enough a big doe. I bleated at her and she keeps walking. So I told Jace to keep watching there will be a buck coming. About two minutes go by and I hear soft grunts. Here came the button buck on her trail acting like he was a 200 inch buck. At this time I she the tail again of the doe ahead of him she took off. I bleated with the can and soft grunted to him. I didn't care what deer would come under Jace I just wanted him to redeem himself on a tough 30 yard shot from yesterday at a big ol doe but a twig bumped him off the mark. But anyway the bb had disappeared. Five minutes go by and I hear foot steps between the squirrels running around. I told Jace turn the scope on a sit still and get ready. Sure enough on the trail the doe and yearlings came yesterday here was the bb at 20 yards. I wispered to Jace wait and he is going to come right underneath us. At ten yards I told him get on him and I stopped him. He stopped behind a tree and Jace says I can't see his shoulder. So I told him to wait. The bb took two steps and I stopped him again. This time Jace squeezed the trigger on the Horton and thwack. The bolt hit perfect. We both about jumped out of the stand the deer took three jumps and stopped I told Jace he is going to die right there. Sure enough he got wobble legged and fell over. At this time I looked at him and between my tears I could see he was teared up too. He gave me a fist bump and says I smoked him dad. I grabbed him and just squeezed. We sit there for 5 minutes or so and relived the moment. I asked him if his feet was still cold. He laughed and said nope they are good. Good enough to get out of this stand and tag my first deer lol. Man this has been a long time coming. He has got out of bed so many mornings and stubbled to the stand with me wanting this moment to happen . Well it finally all came together this morning. I've had him beside almost every time I get a chance to be in the tree. It's been a hectic fall. I haven't had much time to be on TOO but man I couldn't wait to share his first kill with the the TOO family. After the dust settled I sat down this evening and teared up and thought about Conner and how blessed I was today to spend this beautiful morning with my son. Conner this day is dedicated to you buddy. Congrats to all the members who have scored and good luck to those who haven't. Persistence pays off. God bless everybody and be safe.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Beautifully put Jake. I'm sure Conner was smiling on Jace and Garrett this year with their first deer. I have thought of him and Jon numerous times this year.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Phenomenal father son moment! Congrats again to Jace.

I look forward to riding the same emotional roller coaster with my son that you shared with us in this story.