Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My Fudge Up

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Friday Morning found me in one of our best rut stands. Just on the inside corner of a thicket, not 100 yards off the road. Right at first light I had a big bodied buck move along the edge of the woods at about 40 yards from me. At that point I realized I forgot my grunt call. So after he moved off I decided to do a rattling sequence at 7:15. At 7:20 I see a shooter moving towards me along the outside edge, checking scrapes as he comes. I glassed him once knowing he was pretty nice, as I was familiar with the deer (130" 8 point). So he stops at 75 yards, looks around and starts angling through the thicket away from me. I grabbed only ting I could think of, a Primos Can, and blew 4 long, loud bleats to him. He turned on a dime and came right to me, thrashing brush and saplings al the way. He is about to cross right in front of me at 22 yards when he turns and walks right to my tree. He angles off a bit and I stop him broadside at 12 yards. Absolutely perfect, what a hunter dreams up. Except I was so conscious to stay away from shoulder, That I shot him to what I believe was a touch too far back. After the shot he did a 50 yard loop around me stopped to look back for 5 seconds, then ran hard straight away from me. I was immediately worried sick. I climbed down and inspected my arrow. All maroon blood. Liver. No stink whatsoever, so no gut, and quite a bit white belly hair, which is result of a 12 yards shot from a 23' stand. I backed out without ever tracking him. I waited til Nate arrived from work at 1:30, before 5 of us took up the trail. We tracked for about 100 yards or so before blood began to peter out. At that time we decided to back out and I called Phil Hicks. Phil was able to make it down with Hank after dark. It was awesome watching the dog work the trail. He was all over the blood for a good ways, but then like us, it seemed as if the deer completely quit bleeding. But he was winding something from the direction the buck ran. But the real trouble was there are so many deer in there that I really think it was hard on Hank to figure out which one to stay on. But he did keep telling Phil and us that the SW was the way he wanted to go and Im not sure we trusted him enough. We were so turned around that I actually got us lost in my own woods haha. It was a real tough night, and trying to do anything in that thicket in the dark was just spinning our wheels. We called it off at 11:00pm. Hank worked his ass off for us. I was appreciative to Phil for coming up on short notice and working his skinny ass off too. Yesterday my wife, Nate, and I grid searched our whole section there for half a day. We bumped so many deer, never found more blood, or sign from my buck. After we were done, We decided to walk the creek bottom that was 3/4 of a mile away across the open field. It's attached to a small "no Go" section. The creek we can hunt. Walking that 200 yards of heavy bottom, about halfwy through we jumped a big buck, couldnt quite see what he was, but there was alot of rack. I checked his bed but found no blood. Did find aa gob of white belly hair, and it stunk to high hell. I m not sure if it was him, but this was the direction Hank kept trying to pull us. Had wee listened, and that was him, we wouldnt have been a closer to recovery. As I type this, I still replay my stupid shot through my head. Im not ashamed of what happened, more saddened by what I think was a lethal hit and non recovery on my part. I shoot fixed blade broadheads for a reason, and I negated the soul reason and shit right down my leg. I have peace of mind knowing that we did everything we could do to find that deer, short of trespassing on the "no Go" property. Today I will continue my quest for a mature buck, and try to learn from my mistake. If anyone is in my situation, and within his range, I wouldnt hesitate to give Hank a call and see if he'll drag Phil along to hold his leash and find your deer. It was a cool experience. I grew up hunting with dogs for coon, rabbit, and birds. I forgot how much fun it was to watch a good dog work. Thanks Phil

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I was really hoping Hank would find him. Can't find him if he isn't dead yet unfortunately. Bummed for you Ryan.

Isaacorps

Columbus
Had the same thing happen to me at the beginning of the season. It's a terrible feeling but the only way to get over it is get back out there. Pulling for you!

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Was already back at it today. Seen a Giant at Hardin County stand. This deer is a 160" non typical from what I could see. He wasnt leaving his Does for anything. Unfortunately, he was 400 yards away from my stand