Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Weight Loss - Biggest Loser Edition

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Don't feel bad Jesse. Because if 5 weddings in a row, parties, Halloween and other events that I have cooked for we (whole family) have been cheating.

In 5 weeks I gained back 17.5 pounds of the 50+ I lost.

Been back at it for a week and have lost 10 pounds, again.

Wmiller07

I attempted 405 on the bench this morning and it absolutely burried me. I'm pretty pissed off about it. It's something I've been chasing my whole life.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I attempted 405 on the bench this morning and it absolutely burried me. I'm pretty pissed off about it. It's something I've been chasing my whole life.

It’s understandable but use that as motivation to keep chasing even harder. You’ll get there, just keep working. I can’t imagine being able to bench 405 so I’ve got nothing but admiration for you and the work it takes to get to that point.

These next few months are the toughest for me keeping up with a good cardio routine. I was good up until I took the week off for deercation. Last week I ran once and did an indoor body weight routine the other day. This morning it was 38*, windy and it’s always dark. I did not feel it. At all. After hitting snooze once, I made myself go and got 2 miles in. Weights tomorrow then back outside Thursday for a run before I gorge on food all day.

Wmiller07

It’s understandable but use that as motivation to keep chasing even harder. You’ll get there, just keep working. I can’t imagine being able to bench 405 so I’ve got nothing but admiration for you and the work it takes to get to that point.

These next few months are the toughest for me keeping up with a good cardio routine. I was good up until I took the week off for deercation. Last week I ran once and did an indoor body weight routine the other day. This morning it was 38*, windy and it’s always dark. I did not feel it. At all. After hitting snooze once, I made myself go and got 2 miles in. Weights tomorrow then back outside Thursday for a run before I gorge on food all day.

Thanks I appreciate it. Everything felt heavy today. 365 went up but didn't feel that great. 405 actually felt pretty light on the decent but stuck to my chest.

When I don't feel like going to the gym I just make myself go as dumb as that sounds. I remind myself of my goals and just go do it even if things feel like crap. Just keep grinding and striving for your goals.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm finally back to baseline after almost a full month of sickness. Thanks to a horrible diet, I'm up to 205 which is my ceiling, so it's time to get back to the grind. Easing back in to things with a 24 hour fast that'll be over at dinner tonight. Intermittent fasting has been a literal life changer for me, so it's the perfect way to get back in the swing. Also joining a new "gym" this week. A local guy built a pole barn, insulated it and added all kinds of functional strength equipment. You get a key for $25/month and can use it whenever. Looking forward to being able to deadlift and squat again.

Wmiller07

I'm finally back to baseline after almost a full month of sickness. Thanks to a horrible diet, I'm up to 205 which is my ceiling, so it's time to get back to the grind. Easing back in to things with a 24 hour fast that'll be over at dinner tonight. Intermittent fasting has been a literal life changer for me, so it's the perfect way to get back in the swing. Also joining a new "gym" this week. A local guy built a pole barn, insulated it and added all kinds of functional strength equipment. You get a key for $25/month and can use it whenever. Looking forward to being able to deadlift and squat again.

That gym sounds pretty cool. Good luck getting back on track. I decided for the next month I'm going to do sets of 12 reps just to give my body a little break from the heavy stuff. I freaking hate it though. This is only the second week and I miss my low reps. It will be good in the long run and I just need to keep telling myself to not be a pussy.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It's good to mix things up. I'd be willing to bet if you did a week of high reps evert 4th week, you'd see positive results. I'm top fragile to life heavy, so I'm 8-12 reps on everything but deadlift, which I will do heavy just for the mental benefit as much as anything. Great way to boost testosterone too.

Wmiller07

I do sets of 8 every third week and that does help. Also every fifth week I do a deload where I take around 50% of my Max basically just go through the motions. I haven't had any injuries since I've done this. I think a lot of people over train and don't give their body time to recover.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I do sets of 8 every third week and that does help. Also every fifth week I do a deload where I take around 50% of my Max basically just go through the motions. I haven't had any injuries since I've done this. I think a lot of people over train and don't give their body time to recover.
Agreed on the over training. Trying to get big broke me down. My natural build wasn't meant to be bulky (muscle or fat) and my general composition wasn't meant to sustain overloading of the system. It's why I love body weight workouts, kettlebells and most functional strength exercises. I'll open myself up to the ridicule because I can take it, but I've been trying yoga. I always enjoyed stretching and plyometric exercises. I hate feeling tight and right now, I'm a mess. I have a "disease" that's recently been diagnosed that's really impacting my hips. Turns out hunting is super inflammatory on them because it hurts to sit and standing eventually catches up to me. Between the inversion table and finding some yoga stretches that target my lower back and hips seems to be helping. I'll try anything if there's positive outcomes and yoga certainly has its health benefits.

Wmiller07

I stretch almost daily and I think it's another reason I'm avoiding injury. I hate it but know I have to. I've never done full on yoga but I have heard it's great. I probably have some sort of body dysmorphia because I never feel like I am big or strong enough lol.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
New year, new me... rotflmao

In all seriousness, I know some of you remain committed to resolutions set long ago and some will be setting new ones. This thread is here to help stimulate, motivate and encourage those looking to improve their health. We welcome you to share your fitness and nutritional goals, activities and accomplishments.

I regressed after being sick all of November and being a total slob in December. I was under 200 until I went on antibiotics and the resulting binge leaves me at 210, which is 15 pounds more than I'd like to be. My goal is to be back under 200 in the next 2 weeks and ultimately, to settle in at 195 +/- 5#s either way. I want 80% of all my nutrional intake in 2018 to be primal or paleo approved and I'd like to lower my resting heart rate from 58 to 50. The best I've had it was 52, so there's room to set a new best here. I canceled my Planet Fitness membership in October due to inconveinence (25 minute drive one way) and am joining a new "gym" just down the road tonight. It's a pole barn with all kinds of functional strength and conditioning equipment and is as much a "club" as a gym. With it being close, it'll help with attendence.

Keep grinding to those who have been and to those who aren't, what are you waiting for?!?

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Yep back at it. I went down hill when deer season started. Already I have a beer belly. It's gotta go. Eating clean again.....boring but I have done it before. It's worth it. Gonna miss fast food, lol.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Yep back at it. I went down hill when deer season started. Already I have a beer belly. It's gotta go. Eating clean again.....boring but I have done it before. It's worth it. Gonna miss fast food, lol.

Clean eating can be boring, but I've found searching Pinterest can help. Lots of great recipes on there. I follow a few folks on Instagram that help with it too. I have a handful of go-tos that I am always happy to eat, but I'm with you buddy, it can get boring after a while. That's where eating seasonal really helps. Just sucks that there's not much to go on around here in the winter!

Just 1 More

Clean eating can be boring, but I've found searching Pinterest can help. Lots of great recipes on there. I follow a few folks on Instagram that help with it too. I have a handful of go-tos that I am always happy to eat, but I'm with you buddy, it can get boring after a while. That's where eating seasonal really helps. Just sucks that there's not much to go on around here in the winter!

Post up some of your foods/meals.. i'm way over weight and need to find healthier foods. I don't understand why we can put a man on the moon but cant come up with healthy fried chicken

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Post up some of your foods/meals.. i'm way over weight and need to find healthier foods. I don't understand why we can put a man on the moon but cant come up with healthy fried chicken
I can do that, but you have to meet me halfway. Buy Michael Pollan's book "Omnivore's Dilemma" and read that. If you truly want to get healthy, start there and I'll do my part to pass along the recipes that help me. I've invested several hundred hours in nutritional "research" in the last 2 years and feel pretty comfortable in my ability to deliver (and direct you to) information that's of high value.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
To get back in the swing of things, I fasted from 9PM Monday until 9PM last night. I had a greens smoothie, dark chocolate and a hardboiled egg for dinner. 160oz of water yesterday too. Today, I did what will be my usual, no food before noon. Just water and black coffee with a little heavy cream. Lunch was my standard go to on this diet: 3 eggs from our chickens, bacon from our hog and one slice of a locally baked whole grain sourdough. I leave out the bread on days I don't workout, but don't mind it on days I'm going to get after it. Just be sure to source real sourdough and it's actually not bad for you in limited quantities. It's there as much for mental good as nutritional.

Today starts a routine with a daily stretch and hang on the inversion table. I have a body weight and kettlebell circuit that'll push me for 10 minutes and help me ease back in to an exercise routine. Got my key to the new gym just down the road last night and look forward to getting back in the gym for squats and deadlift. Both are fantastic exercises for total body effect as they increase testosterone and impact other important hormones much more than other exercises. Same with sprinting, which I'll try to do every 10 days. A set of 6-8 50-75 yard sprints can have a profound effect on your cardio and your test levels. It's a literal "fight or flight" reaction in your physiology that results from the sprint that you're after.

Supplement game is on too. I'll share that lineup in another post. It's been 3 years of experimenting and "research" to nail it down to a lineup that I believe benefits my total health and well being.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Slowly, but very steadily ramping up my nutrition and exercise routine. Holding right at 205 right now, but I'm not burning enough calories either. That'll change after this week and a project launch that's had me pinned down since New Years.

How's everyone else doing so far?

Just 1 More

I'm back in the gym 3-4 days a week now,,, doing a lot more cardio. I've cut out 95% of sodas and pretty much anything other than water.. cut out my alcohol intake as well.