Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tobacco use when hunting

billthearcher

Question for the Tobacco users, Do u use any while hunting, dip,smoke whatever. And do u think deer associated with people.

Big Weff

Athens
I always have copenhegan in the tree, usually switch to wintergreen this time of year for the fact that it just seemed to me it would bother the deer less than natural or straight, never had a problem with them getting spooky or anything when I've had one in though

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Quit after 34 years of dipping and so did my bro, full bore and we both killed a lot a of deer over that span and every hunt consisted of nearly every brand of baccy ever made. Never seemed to be a problem but we either swallowed the juice of had a spit bottle and always played the wind.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Redman Select here. I spit on the leaves and have had deer come over and put their noses right on a wad of chew. Used to smoke on stand and killed deer doing that too. I always took a plastic bottle and used it for ashes and butts.

Like all foreign smells, it's a risk and they can learn to associate it with danger.

billthearcher

Skoal peach is about all I can tolerate. I smoke ,but dip while hunting.Just a debate I had with a buddy last night.he is a really good hunter. I've learned a lot from him.he got me into archery about 5 years ago.And he says he smokes like a chimney in stand.Idk how he does it year after year.when I just have trouble not getting winded in general. Lol.thanks for input guys.been slow all morning. Seen a doe at 830,but no horn behind

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I don't do either hunting or not but my in law does and he has killed his fair share of deer over the years. I'm sure some deer will associate those smells with people.

whodey1966

I have chewed for years and spit on the ground from the stand with no issues, I took a wiz out of my stand last sat about 10 mins before I shot my buck, he never even noticed. Wind was blowing right towards him too.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Wham I dipped I never once saw a deer have an adverse reaction to it. I would spit right out of the stand.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
When I chewed, for a 30 year period of my life;
the last 15, was spent spitting Skoal wintergreen out of a tree stand.
The last 10, peeing out of a tree stand.
And I have killed half a dozen deer from those locations.

and once... many years ago, I even had to set my cigar down to shoot a doe.
Always have a stable place to set a lit cigar when deer show up. You wouldn't want it to fall to the ground and start a forest fire.
Safety first.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Adult doe with two fawns came in tonight with swirling winds and got inside 30 yards for 20 minutes. I pinched a grumpy near my tree at 8:30, pissed out of it 3 times and had 2 hours worth of chaw spit and the wads of chaw under me and she never blew or got nervous. She knew I was there, but the smoker covered my ass. The rest, she ignored.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Adult doe with two fawns came in tonight with swirling winds and got inside 30 yards for 20 minutes. I pinched a grumpy near my tree at 8:30, pissed out of it 3 times and had 2 hours worth of chaw spit and the wads of chaw under me and she never blew or got nervous. She knew I was there, but the smoker covered my ass. The rest, she ignored.
Haha!

Isaacorps

Columbus
When I chewed, for a 30 year period of my life;
the last 15, was spent spitting Skoal wintergreen out of a tree stand.
The last 10, peeing out of a tree stand.
And I have killed half a dozen deer from those locations.

and once... many years ago, I even had to set my cigar down to shoot a doe.
Always have a stable place to set a lit cigar when deer show up. You wouldn't want it to fall to the ground and start a forest fire.
Safety first.

I was literally crying laughing so hard reading this in the middle of the restaurant. "Safety first" 😂😂😏

lung buster

hocking county

Lmao, you had alot going on around your stand!!

lung buster

hocking county
I spent 20 yrs chewing snuff and killed almost all my deer with a dip in... I honestly never noticed a negative reaction from it..I quit 508 days ago and chew a ton of gum now and was afraid that they would smell it but it's not been a problem either...

rsmith

I spent 20 yrs chewing snuff and killed almost all my deer with a dip in... I honestly never noticed a negative reaction from it..I quit 508 days ago and chew a ton of gum now and was afraid that they would smell it but it's not been a problem either...
I'm with you on the gum! Been a little over 2 years for me now since my last chew and all I do now is chew double mint gum. Deer don't seem to mind the smell at all! Had a squirrel come over and pic up and try to eat a piece of watermelon flavored gum earlier this season which was pretty funny. Got all over his paws, looked like a cat stuck in a ball of barn but he eventually got it off.