Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dead deer

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
First off I want to say thanks for all the kind words and apologize for the delay as I am back with service today. So here goes the story, Nov 3rd(seems like forever ago) my Dad and I show up at Strouds Run @ 11 am ready to set up our camp for the 2 week trip. After 2 hours of sweating like a pig we were done, time to change, smoke up, and hit the woods... even though it was like 78 that day. I had a spot that I noticed last year really blew up with sign and so far this year it had not... bottom crossing with like 4 ridges so I thought I would give it a go. Once I got to the tree I was like WTF am I doing in the woods, I should be at the beach...LOL. After getting 20 ft. up I took off my light jacket(white T-shirt underneath), hung my hat on a limb and found a glove to wipe the sweat off my face. I sat down in the stand and looked at my bow and thought.. hell I didn't even nock an arrow so I proceeded to do so. After what seemed like 3-5 minutes(didnt even have time to put a dip in) I heard the steady crunching of leaves and thought.. Here comes a deer so I stood up, grabbed my bow and watched the direction I was hearing it. He stepped out of the beech trees and was coming directly to me. He changed direction a little at around 23 yards and I came to full draw and got ready to shoot. As he hit a small window I stopped him and let it fly, he whirled off and managed to make it 40 yards and he was down.. I couldn't believe it all happened so fast, I called my wife and she was like" No way.. you're joking". I then called my Dad as I knew I would need help getting this beast out of the bottom, no way out but straight up. Only thing I regret is not taking more photos, with it being 78 degrees my main focus was 1 getting him out, 2 getting him quartered up and in the cooler so I would not lose the meat. Thanks again to everyone!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Wow, that was a quick hunt!Lol

Take em when you can get em! Congrats on a great looking deer and thanks for sharing your story!

My memory sucks ass these days, your name is Don(Donald) isn't it? Regardless, it was nice seeing ya again at Strouds!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Holy cow! Once in a great while it just happens that quick. Cherish it when it does! Congratulations!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
That's an awesome story dude! Especially knowing how much effort and time you've put in to that place. There may not be anyone in the state that knows Strouds better than you. Congrats again!

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
Wow, that was a quick hunt!Lol

Take em when you can get em! Congrats on a great looking deer and thanks for sharing your story!

My memory sucks ass these days, your name is Don(Donald) isn't it? Regardless, it was nice seeing ya again at Strouds!

Yes, that was me that stopped in on Saturday afternoon to chat with the group! Thanks

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
Thanks Jesse, sometimes I tend to over think it too much but lately trying to keep it simple.

Brock, I just seen your earlier question and yes it was at Strouds and the same thing happened last year on the first nights hunt except I didnt get a shot at 20 yds... deer walked out of my life never to lay eyes on him again and no other shots the entire 2 weeks so I am pumped that it happened.. heck I even got to relax a little and not be so hardcore at camp...