Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Conserving Does... Is It In Vain?

I did ask the fellas to leave some seed for next year. The one guy stated they could only take two each. That convinced me quickly that leaving seed was the furthest thing from their mind.

My stepson understands my point of view, but I can tell in the back of his mind he doesn't see why I'm so strict on letting the does walk. But, he also doesn't see why I let some bucks walk either. He likes to eat venison, which I don't care much about. He never tries to push the envelope and bend the rules so it is good enough for me.

I understand that we all hunt for different reasons so we will never all think alike.

You guys have at least made me think I'm doing some good, be it small or maybe not even noticeable.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I've preached until I'm blue in the face about how it's the DNRs job to set regulations and limits and no amount of "self conservation" will have any meaningful impact. Anyone who thinks it's possible is fooling themselves. It's like saying we can set the speed limit at 150mph with the belief that everyone will self police and only go 75. Sad to say bud that until the DNR decides they favor hunters over big insurance the feeler numbers will stay low or continue to fall.

Murphy31

Western Mass
How many guys are on the lease? I can tell ya being from New England that if these guys are from Vt, Nh, or Maine it is really hard for them to get a doe tag up there.This might be there only chance at getting some venison for the year.

reo

N.E. Ohio
I've preached until I'm blue in the face about how it's the DNRs job to set regulations and limits and no amount of "self conservation" will have any meaningful impact. Anyone who thinks it's possible is fooling themselves. It's like saying we can set the speed limit at 150mph with the belief that everyone will self police and only go 75. Sad to say bud that until the DNR decides they favor hunters over big insurance the feeler numbers will stay low or continue to fall.

Agree 100% that the ODNR is fugged up and it is their job. I am a hunter and as a hunter a conservationist. I however, will not be part of the problem

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The one thing I think we should be doing a better job of on our place is talking with the neighbors a little more often. If we tell them we are seeing less does and are choosing not to shoot any and we keep saying that year after year (if true of course) then eventually...maybe....just maybe they will start buying into it.

I only wish this was true but I really doubt the fact will only last until your back is turned. When 'brown it's down' going on any talking to these clowns is just wasted good words. I've seen the neighbor's friend shoot a fawn that he picked up and put in the pickup bed by himself without taking the tailgate down. At first I thought it was a coyote.
Some hunters get to be 'he men' to their friends by killing deer. I imagine they will be the first to complain when the numbers are down but would continue shooting until the last deer is gone. Then brag about how much fun it was until it ended.
I wish it wasn't like this but TOO forum members are several steps higher on the hunting ladder than the average hunter.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Speaking of TOO... I haven't noticed anyone boasting of killing their bag limit on here yet. Do you suppose that is because fewer people are measuring their manhood by filled tags, or do you suspect folks are just not as quick to brag as they may have been once upon a time?

I haven't put tension on a string yet this year, may not, idk. I can tell you for a fact, fifteen years ago, I'd be sick of tracking and gutting deer by now.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ooops, I lied. I scared one real bad with a recurve on opening day. :) She's fine, see her regularly.

Agree 100% that the ODNR is fugged up and it is their job. I am a hunter and as a hunter a conservationist. I however, will not be part of the problem

We are obviously in the same frame of mind reo. I still contend that if enough hunters had this mindset things would be fine. But, there are a lot of "he men" that Frank mentioned out there. All we can do is do what deep down we know we should do.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Speaking of TOO... I haven't noticed anyone boasting of killing their bag limit on here yet. Do you suppose that is because fewer people are measuring their manhood by filled tags, or do you suspect folks are just not as quick to brag as they may have been once upon a time?

I haven't put tension on a string yet this year, may not, idk. I can tell you for a fact, fifteen years ago, I'd be sick of tracking and gutting deer by now.

I think there have been a lot guys educated by this forum, and conversations elsewhere, over the past couple of years and more guys are letting does walk. It's no fun not seeing deer...

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I haven't read all the way through this but my rules are A LOT like yours.... no does! I did shoot one this year (been 5 years or so) but it was public land that butts up to a sanctuary where there are a TON of does. Although I have out of staters leasing the ground that butts up to me they have the same mindset after talking with them. Our county has very few deer the way it is. We can only control so much.... although we would like to see our herd get better there will always be meat hunters (nothing wrong with that). Sometimes it feels like we are pissing in the wind but I honestly think you are doing the right thing! It has to start somewhere and when they have nothing to shoot on their property their minds will change as well. I wouldn't beat yourself up and feel like your "not letting family or yourself have fun". Your a conservationist..... be proud of that!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Like Zach said, be proud of what you are doing because IMO and that of many others, it is the right thing to do. You also mentioned talking more with your neighbors and that is something I did just last week. I've never spoke to the guys leasing the farm north of us until last week. One of the first things I asked was if they were shooting does and thankfully, they were not. So between the three farms we all hunt, there is 430 acres of ground for the does to be safe on. The only one that might get shot is the split ear doe I have on came that didn't have a fawn (or lost it) and she is "ear" marked for my wife. (See what I did there... lmao)

You are doing right Dick. Keep with it!

Wingman

Hell...at Kokosing Wildlife Area...the hicks and the Amish just shoot does for pure shits and giggles, and leave them whole and dead in the parking lot--stinking, rotting, and just promoting more buzzards than anything else. THEY DON'T EVEN TAKE THE MEAT! It's getting pretty ridiculous out there...the local hicks use the area for shooting up heroin, and the Amish leave tons of beer trash out in the woods because they would get in trouble if their parents or neighbors found out they were drinking, by them bringing the trash home with them...so they just toss it into the woods. You know it's them because of the horse shit next to the beer cans and bottles. I don't know how many times I've called DNR and complained about them...and have yet to see one ranger or wildlife officer there. I filled two large trash bags full of bottles and cans from just one spot that the Amish were hanging out in the woods. Any ideas about what to do about this?

Wingman

Well I am from Missouri...where they have classified people like this pretty well. In my opinion, a hick is someone without class, respect for others, and without money, that happens to live in a rural place. In Missouri we would likely call you a "Hoosier"...which is what I am...and is classified as a rural person who has money and respects nature...or "middle-class hick" I guess you could say.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Well I am from Missouri...where they have classified people like this pretty well. In my opinion, a hick is someone without class, respect for others, and without money, that happens to live in a rural place. In Missouri we would likely call you a "Hoosier"...which is what I am...and is classified as a rural person who has money and respects nature...or "middle-class hick" I guess you could say.
Middle-class hick. Sounds classy. lmao

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I want to respond to this with my full feelings, but I will not be able communicate it well through written word without being labeled or crucified. Below is my attempt at a condensed version.

Not everyone has the opportunities to pick and choose their kills.
Not everyone gets to hunt every year.
Not everyone is ok with spending their hard earned $ to not fill a tag or justify a trip.
Not everyone has an elder to help guide them through the benefits of QDM.

Do I think you're hurting the hunting experience for your stepson? Depends. How old is he, how many deer has he harvested to date, is he hunting for meat or just to kill? If he is having to pass up does and has never killed a deer or killed one with a bow, yes, I feel its in vain. If not, then find out his thoughts about your request. Your land, your rules, but what does it harm understanding his perspective?

My hunting career started in the Allegheny in PA and I saw firsthand the herd destruction. As long as they put a tag in my hand, I was filling it and it was replacing getting beef that year. Have I tagged out in Ohio? You betcha. This is currently my freezer:
image.jpg

Will I be tagging out again this year? Sure need to with 3 other mouths to feed. Hopefully holding off early on the does will help me tag a buck. Nothing guarantees me that either will come true this year. Once it turns cold and I have time to hang one, its on. Will you see me holding a 75" 6pt smiling before seasons done, maybe.....because that freezer wont be bare.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
My stepson is 48 years old and has shot quite a few deer in the last 10 years or so. He hunts for meat not just to kill something.

Tell him deer on other properties are made of meat too. Make him do some legwork and you'll be surprised how easy he'll find a place to shoot a doe.