Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Another safety reminder...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Got this message from Spencie this morning. You just never know when you are in the woods what can happen...

One thing I've started doing this year is when I get to my stand, I open my ScoutLook Hunting app and drop a pin at my location. I screen shot that so that you can see the GPS cords and the rest of the farm so you have a frame of reference. I then text this to my wife so she knows where I am. If you do not have cell service where you hunt, but know where you are doing, you can do the same prior to losing service.

Be careful out there fellas!

ChasinTheTrophy

Western PA
Got this message from Spencie this morning. You just never know when you are in the woods what can happen...

One thing I've started doing this year is when I get to my stand, I open my ScoutLook Hunting app and drop a pin at my location. I screen shot that so that you can see the GPS cords and the rest of the farm so you have a frame of reference. I then text this to my wife so she knows where I am. If you do not have cell service where you hunt, but know where you are doing, you can do the same prior to losing service.

Be careful out there fellas!
I do this also . I've personally never fell but my brother in law and uncle have . My best friends dad fell 8 ft off a ladder at work and is paralyzed from the waist down . 8 ft ! I also never climb with a harness . We owe it to our families of nothing else !!

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I do this also . I've personally never fell but my brother in law and uncle have . My best friends dad fell 8 ft off a ladder at work and is paralyzed from the waist down . 8 ft ! I also never climb WITOUHT a harness . We owe it to our families of nothing else !!

I hope this is what you meant

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Wow sorry to hear this. Sounds like he'll be OK. Guys PLEASE use a harness and a lifeline. I know it costs extra money but how much is your life worth. Nothing is safer than being hooked in from the ground up.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Damn that's some shitty news. Hopefully it's just bruising! That's a good idea on the scoutlook screenshot, Jesse!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Man, glad he's doing alright. Be safe out there guys! Make sure you're attached to the tree from the ground up, and back down again.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hope you're okay Spencie!!! Hope you have a speedy recovery as well!

Thanks again for the reminder Jesse! Good idea about the scout look screen shot!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great idea on the screenshot Jesse. Hope Spencie mends up quickly.

I have no lifelines. Yesterday I slipped while climbing up. Muddy boot bottoms on metal climbing sections can be slippery. I probably should invest in some lifelines. Three points of contact is all that saved me yesterday.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I hope they do not find anything but bruises. How utterly scary, yet thankful for him to be alive.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Glad he's ok. These stories scare the hell out of me. All my stands have a lifeline and they get used every time. I won't buy any more stands without buying a lifeline to go with it. A guy that works for me had a strap break on a ladder stand and fell 15' a couple years ago. Got a little bloody and sore for weeks but he was ok. Use a harness!!

epe

Lancaster

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Glad you're doing ok Spence! Praying for a speedy recovery!

We were talking about this earlier today. I don't use a lifeline, and I probably should for all the sets I have previously hung. Just this year, i started using my lineman's belt on every trip up and down the tree. Sure, it takes a few seconds longer, but it beats falling to the ground. Please guys, be careful out there!

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Thanks for the thoughts and prayers guys and gals. It's very appreciated. Waiting on some MRI results and have another X-ray of my lungs to take before I can possibly go home. It happens fast.

Dandaman: maybe you don't mean to be an ass but that's how I take it. Yes a lifeline would have saved me a lot of pain and grief. I have many, many set ups. Lifelines wouldn't be just a $30 investment....hundreds. I will have one on every lock-on from here on out and will figure out something for ladders and elevated box blinds. Thanks for the kind words though you POS.