Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Official TOO 2011 Shed Contest

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Took Hank out today. He didn't find any sheds. He is so FiRED!

I found two baby sheds and my buddy found one of the decent ones. The buck whose sheds we really want to find was still carrying last weekend. There are either 2 or 3 bucks with good potential next year. Hard to tell from trail cam photos. There is a pair that runs together and possibly a third. Or. . . we have gotten one of the pair running solo a couple times on camera and there are only 2 decent ones in there. Either way, here is today's find. The big one was about 2/3 the diameter of a pop can at the base. Glad we found it. He must be a big bodied son of a gun because he didn't look this big in his trail cam pics. Good mass.

Attachments

• IMG00452-20110220-1833 Feb 20 2011 sheds.jpg
    IMG00452-20110220-1833 Feb 20 2011 sheds.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 131

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Nice job.

Man I was all pumped up today to get out shed hunting since I got the government holiday off, well this freezing rain cancelled school and now I'm stuck at home with the kids. I would take them out shed hunting with me, but the weather is just too nasty today to do it.

Here are the 9 sheds I found on Saturday.....

Last edited:

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Are you guys finding these sheds in huntable areas?....This is crazy?..How can so many bucks survive not being shot by hunters?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I walked some pristine, unhunted ground for 4 solid hours yesterday and didn't find a single one. A buddy of mine said that so far only 2 of the 30+ bucks at his deer farm have dropped their antlers.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Are you guys finding these sheds in huntable areas?....This is crazy?..How can so many bucks survive not being shot by hunters?

Mtr- I have only shed hunted areas where I hunt plus one place my buddy's parents own that he wants me to hunt with him next year. Three of the sheds he found were not on huntable land. The three in my picture were on his property or the neighboring farms we had permission to shed hunt on. Total of around 220 acres. I have access to 135 of those acres to hunt. The property to the north my buddy was told to go ahead and find them before they are eaten by rodents. We don't have access to hunt it, but there is a good communication line and we have like-minded goals. There were two 130-145" deer taken on these acres (plus in my case I arrowed mine (upper 130's estimated) about 1.5miles down the road but we have trail camera pictures of him on this property). There are some other properties which we believe hold some nice sheds, but we don't have permission to hunt them or shed hunt them.

Diablo- Our trail cameras are showing lots of shed bucks. There is a nice 130-140" deer holding onto one side, a 140+" holding both sides, and one 1.5yr old that was holding onto one side as of a week and a half ago. It appears the majority have dropped in our area. I know there are many factors pertaining to why and when they drop, but I believe the single digits/below zero temps for several weeks combined with about 8" of snow/ice keeping them from finding food attributed to many of them dropping in the last month.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
2 more today. 27 now total. #'s 24,25 are pretty nice ones... Mountaineer, these are huntable bucks but not for your candy ass...

Diablo54

Outside
Mtr- I have only shed hunted areas where I hunt plus one place my buddy's parents own that he wants me to hunt with him next year. Three of the sheds he found were not on huntable land. The three in my picture were on his property or the neighboring farms we had permission to shed hunt on. Total of around 220 acres. I have access to 135 of those acres to hunt. The property to the north my buddy was told to go ahead and find them before they are eaten by rodents. We don't have access to hunt it, but there is a good communication line and we have like-minded goals. There were two 130-145" deer taken on these acres (plus in my case I arrowed mine (upper 130's estimated) about 1.5miles down the road but we have trail camera pictures of him on this property). There are some other properties which we believe hold some nice sheds, but we don't have permission to hunt them or shed hunt them.

Diablo- Our trail cameras are showing lots of shed bucks. There is a nice 130-140" deer holding onto one side, a 140+" holding both sides, and one 1.5yr old that was holding onto one side as of a week and a half ago. It appears the majority have dropped in our area. I know there are many factors pertaining to why and when they drop, but I believe the single digits/below zero temps for several weeks combined with about 8" of snow/ice keeping them from finding food attributed to many of them dropping in the last month.

Exactly. The weather has been nice down here for the last week and our winter wasn't as bad as what you guys had up north.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Have any of you constructed a "shed collector". I guess it's the lazy way out, but if you have access to a smallish property it might help get a few more. I've only ever found one and it was mostly gone from rodents.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Recent pics....

Attachments

• 0222011507.jpg
    0222011507.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 137
  • 0222011507a.jpg
    0222011507a.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 142
  • 0224011612.jpg
    0224011612.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 0220011447.jpg
    0220011447.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 140
  • 0221011544.jpg
    0221011544.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 143

rrr

JD I love that last set...I'm assuming thats a dark colored rack, not just mud. There's a dark set out there somewhere for me to find...TOO bad they are under 8 inches of snow right now! Sure wish he had been 20 yards closer or else I'd already have the antlers in my hand!