Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Buck Fever

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I used to get tore up back in the day. Admittedly, I still get a little riled up, but it's nothing like it was when I was a rookie. I believe experience in both observing, and in killing deer, is the only way to learn how to overcome it. If I stop getting excited when I have a chance to kill a deer, I'll stop hunting. I also believe you can practice battling for the "fever" by getting your heart rate and breathing up during practice. I do this and I think it helps. After a while, you develop an auto-pilot that is very beneficial in the moment of truth!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I used to get tore up back in the day. Admittedly, I still get a little riled up, but it's nothing like it was when I was a rookie. I believe experience in both observing, and in killing deer, is the only way to learn how to overcome it. If I stop getting excited when I have a chance to kill a deer, I'll stop hunting. I also believe you can practice battling for the "fever" by getting your heart rate and breathing up during practice. I do this and I think it helps. After a while, you develop an auto-pilot that is very beneficial in the moment of truth!

Autopilot seems too be it.... I do the same and just get a riled up after the shot lol

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I'm the same, after the shot I literally can't quite shaking. The last 3 deer I've killed I've been calm as can be before the shot, just kept telling myself what I had to do to make it happen, and took a deep breather before the shot. Seemed to really help. Oh, and once you decide you're going to shoot it, don't look at the rack again.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
That's good advice Jake. When I realized my 2012 buck was a shooter, I never looked at the rack again. I got all the confirmation I needed that morning and when he showed up in the afternoon, it was a no brainer. I've ran that through my head with DD a million times now. It'll take a split second to know its him, after that, game on.

Diablo54

Outside
I'm the same, after the shot I literally can't quite shaking. The last 3 deer I've killed I've been calm as can be before the shot, just kept telling myself what I had to do to make it happen, and took a deep breather before the shot. Seemed to really help. Oh, and once you decide you're going to shoot it, don't look at the rack again.

I double check after this or. He came cruising from 100 yards. Threw my binocs up and said yep shooter. Didn't pay attention to the rack again. Not that he's a dink or not worthy of me. Just wasn't what I was after. I double check now lol.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446415818.727214.jpg

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I remember when I was younger after deer would just walk through I'd hake uncontrollably for quite awhile. I'm talking full blown shivers and teeth chattering.

Doesn't happen anymore but I still get a thrill anytime one walks by.

After shooting a nice buck? Oh yeah! Love that shaking that happens.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I remember when I was younger after deer would just walk through I'd hake uncontrollably for quite awhile. I'm talking full blown shivers and teeth chattering.

Doesn't happen anymore but I still get a thrill anytime one walks by.

After shooting a nice buck? Oh yeah! Love that shaking that happens.

Glad I'm not in the minority lmao....

epe

Lancaster
I get it with shooter bucks now, not gonna lie. I thought the buck coming in tonight was the big 8pt and got to shaking. He got closer and I realized it wasn't him and IMMEDIATELY calmed down...I was laughing at myself after it..lol