Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Warm weather this week

Cardinalbuck

NE Ohio
A basic question, but hoping I can learn from the more experienced guys on here...

It's going to be pretty warm this week. How will that affect rut activity? If it does, any advice on how to hunt it?

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I can't give ya too much, I'm still learning myself. But I think I might slow things down a little, especially during daylight hours. But, the weather is showing a cold front coming through next friday, and Temps in the 30s next weekend.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
A basic question, but hoping I can learn from the more experienced guys on here...

It's going to be pretty warm this week. How will that affect rut activity? If it does, any advice on how to hunt it?
My advice to you would be is to hunt your stands according to the wind, prepare to hunt all day, and move to another stand location if NO deer activity is present. It's the pre-rut phase and things should be heating up, so if it's NOT where your at? Move to a different set or location.
I go on gut instincts too! I've made last minute decisions before and more often than not. It's put a good deer in shooting range.

Good luck!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Best thing you can do is have a plan, take good high quality shots and have people ready to help deal with warm weather and dead deer. They probably won't be able to lay overnight so good shots are the key. I'm thinking of switching over to my fixed blades just because of this heat

AfterShock

Piqua Ohio
I'm sure the deer are moving . Not sure how much . I always thought about it this way . How much moving would I want to do in 70 degree with a fur coat on

Bigcountry40

deer prefer to move in cold with those thick winter coats, but deer will move this week. I personally will wait to till next week to take my days off and sit all day. When i lived in NC basically from the middle of Oct- till January first buck would be running does. I personally think Ohio has 3 different rut peaks- NW Ohio (corn field deer) late oct-1st week november
central-eastern Ohio middle November, Southern Ohio mid late-November (even 1st week of gun). Just my own personal theory, I am sure people on here can completely disprove my theory.

Last edited:

Kaiser878

ohio
Deer are moving. It's not ideal in our minds... but all a buck Is thinking about is getting a little ass... the temp doesn't change his thinking.... my guys have seen a shooter every single sit but 1.

epe

Lancaster
On the way back from dropping my buck off at the processor I saw a buck dogging a doe in a cow pasture and it 70 out. My nephew works in a coal pit and they watched bucks Chase all day today while running equipment.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
What's up fellas? I definitely had a big old 10 running a doe ragged out in front of me tonight at 5pm. It was hot. He didn't care at all. Nor did he care for me to try to stop him. Hahahaha.

Welcome back too your second home..... Hope this year pans out for you guys....

Lundy

I was at the farm, Athens, moving hunting boxes yesterday in 70 deg, and saw 11 different bucks all running around during the day including the largest buck I have seen in over 10 years. Unfortunately he was 1/2 mile away ( or maybe look at it as he was ONLY 1/2 mile away:D)from the farm just standing in the middle of the 2 lane road, looking intently into the brush across the road, at 2:30 in the afternoon. I'm sure his girlfriend was just across the road somewhere