Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Black Coyote!

Flatlander

Darby Creek
Hey everyone! I've been mostly lurking since life has taken a few turns for me. The latest was my wife of 34 years being diagnosed with lymphoma.

Anyway, I've only been out a couple of times and decided with everything going on, it would take a really nice buck for me to launch an arrow. I haven't seen a buck yet that qualifies but I did see something last night that was super cool...it was a coal black coyote! I saw him in a field when I was driving to my hunting area and thought it was a German Shepard until I watched him for a minute. I went on to the area I hunt and as I was walking to my stand, there he was headed toward me in the field. I crouched down in the weeds and hoped he would come close enough for a shot. At about 60 yards he made a turn and was headed away from me. I decided to put the stalk on him since I had a ditch with cover to help hide me and he was moving slow and was preoccupied with mouse hunting. I spent about 30 minutes trying to get close enough before deciding I was at the point where I needed to break toward my stand and it was probably a matter of time before he busted me, so I pulled off. While I was in the stand I used the binocs and watched him work the field for 2 hours trying to catch mice.

I know this is a long story with no blood at the end but this gave me the spark I needed. My goal now is to take this black coyote with my bow! I had never seen or heard of one until yesterday, but after researching it last night I found out they do exist and are rare! I try to kill all of them I can and normally don't do anything with them afterward, but this one will make one heck of a mount if I can put an arrow in him! Hopefully I can have a hero pic before the year is over. I'll keep you posted!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Definitely prayers for your wife and you as well!
Good Luck with the coyote....fair warning it can possibly cost you some $$$$$$ if you get him! 20150407_114433_LLS.jpg

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good to hear you are getting out. Keeping you and the wife in my thoughts.

Flatlander

Darby Creek
I'm sorry this is in the wrong forum! I was thinking it was bowhunting....I see it's Bowhunting Whitetails.

Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers everyone!

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Prayers indeed, for you and your wife. I hope you can kill that yote, I think Gern killed one last year too. I have never seen one, but sure as heck would try to kill it if I did!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Prayers for your family this way..lymphoma has impacted my family as well so I know what your going through. Great job on the yote

antiqucycle

East Ohio
I found a dead black coyote in between a stack of round bales about 3 years ago. I doubt it was shot but might have been hit by a car and crawled there to die. Last year gun season had a jet black one run full speed past me in a pasture. same farm.

Flatlander

Darby Creek
Definitely prayers for your wife and you as well!
Good Luck with the coyote....fair warning it can possibly cost you some $$$$$$ if you get him!View attachment 37846

Yea Rick...I told my wife it was going to cost me if I get him because I'd have to do a full body mount! Probably more $$$$ than a shoulder mount on a buck. That one you have really looks like a German Shepard! The one I saw didn't have the gray markings like yours....he was pretty much solid black.

So what's the story on your black yote? One you snared?

Flatlander

Darby Creek
image.jpgHaven't been able to hunt much at all this year but I did see my target in the field again the other evening. I took this pic image.jpgfrom my cell phone, sorry about the horrible quality but it's all I had. He has lost a lot of weight since I saw him in October.
I might resort to a snare if I can't put an arrow through him.

Flatlander

Darby Creek
I appreciate all the prayers and well wishes from everyone. My wife is doing great! She has finished her chemo treatments and is in the middle of radiation that takes place every day for 3 weeks. Considering all she's been through she is doing amazingly well! I figure deer season can wait until next year......she is my priority. Thanks again everyone!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Yea Rick...I told my wife it was going to cost me if I get him because I'd have to do a full body mount! Probably more $$$$ than a shoulder mount on a buck. That one you have really looks like a German Shepard! The one I saw didn't have the gray markings like yours....he was pretty much solid black.

So what's the story on your black yote? One you snared?

Yes Sir. Grandson and I set out to snare it after it showed up on camera. It was the first one we got that year.
We send the best out to you and yours through these challenging times.