Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New property advice

NEOhunter

farm.JPG

Hey guys I'm looking for some advice on this new property.

I just got permission from a co-worker who has a dairy farm and over 1000 acres. I got permission to hunt the section that is on the inside of the yellow lines. I'm not sure of the exact acreage of this section but it's a lot bigger than the 13 acres at my parents.

All I know so far is the part labeled park is where I can park. My co-worker said that they don't hunt and there shouldn't be anybody else back there hunting. She says that she sees a lot of deer in the fields and the fields have been harvested already.

My main question is where would be spots you would think about hunting 1st considering I haven't spent anytime scouting this property yet?

Thanks for any advice you have.

Attachments

• denman.JPG
    denman.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 138

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
uploadfromtaptalk1446177923392.jpg

Those would be two spots I'd start with. Especially the spot with the small concealed field. What was planted in the fields this year?

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I'm of the same opinion. Inside corners are where I would start also. It just seems whenever I've seen deer entering and exiting a field it is mostly from inside corners.

It's really a crap shoot this time of year but if you can get a set hung in that corner with the secluded field like Chad said and do it in the middle of the day so you can just hang it and hunt it. That would be my first set.

NEOhunter

Thanks for the insight so far. I know they had corn and soy beans this year. Not sure in which fields yet. I'm very optimistic about this spot. Should be zero pressure and hopefully some nice deer.
My first thought was the inside corner by the secluded field.

NEOhunter

Little update...yesterday was my 1st chance to get to this property. Followed my co-worker home from work so I knew how to get there. I knew I only had about 1.5 hours to hunt so I decided with the wind, I would head to the one inside corner. As soon as I took a couple steps into the woods I caught movement at my left. I froze and saw a nice heavy body 8 point walking about 40 yards in front of me. As he came to the clearing, it's an old bulldozer trail, he saw me and took a few leaps back into the woods. He stopped and looked back at me for about 20 seconds then just walked away. Excited by what I saw, I decided to just plop down by an old tree that was blown down. I saw a ton of squirrels, deer paths, and a few rubs.
The one field that I was closest to was planted in corn this year. Already cut, but had all kinds of tracks in it. I learned there is one other guy that hunts a few times during the year. So I'm liking what I saw from my first short hunt here. Still looking forward to making it to the concealed inside corner, when I have a good wind and more time.

NEOhunter

denman 2.JPG

Hey all, I wanted to update my image and had some more descriptions now that I've been here twice. I labeled the fields with what crops were planted this past season. There are some cover crops that are green and growing now where it is labeled and the winter wheat field to the south I actually have permission to hunt as well. I learned this this past weekend. The red lines are bulldozer/tractor paths and the blue line is a creek that runs through this part of the property. The corner where the creek runs has a lot of rubs. The inside corner by the creek has so many tracts and deer paths.

NEOhunter

Bigslam- I just set my camera up on my last hunt this past Saturday. I'm hoping to see some nice ones on camera.

I have seen two deer so far here but they have been trotting away, 1 was a decent 8 and the other all I saw was his back side. I talked to one other guy that hunts here and from what he says there is a couple nice bucks on the property. He says there are 2 nice 8's a decent 10 and several small ones.

NEOhunter

I set the camera up just inside the woods off the northwest inside corner that you had posted about several weeks ago. I put it there saturday morning when I got there. I planned on hunting this spot due to the wind that day. I hunted there in the morning and then moved to the other corner by the creek around noon. We had a heavy fog that day so I thought it was a good time to move midday to try that other inside corner. I saw a lot more buck sign by the creek, the blue lines on my map, had I known that I may have put the camera there.