Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My Best Friend's Buck

My best friend and I were texting back and forth about what we were seeing, during this past Saturday morning's hunt. He was over 25 miles from me, but we both know where we are hunting, in case the other one needs help. During one of my texts, he didn't reply, so I sent another text. Again, no reply. After about 20 minutes past, I figured he had something in front of him and he was busy watching or shooting.

About 45 minutes later, I decided that nothing was moving and since it was nearly 9:30 a.m., I'd get down and head back home. As soon as I reached the ground, my phone was vibrating continuously from a call. It was Greg, my best friend telling me he'd shot a nice buck and was going to wait until he got out of church to go look for it. I met him at his house around 12:30 and we took up the trail, from the point of his shot.

The shot was quartering toward Greg, so the entrance wound was mid-rib cage on the left side. The exit wound was on the right side, near the right rear leg. The broadhead was a Rage Hypodermic, shot from a 65# Mathews. The blood trail was immediate and continuous. The buck traveled approximately 150 yards, before piling up and he was very stiff, which told us he could've taken up the trail within 20 minutes after the shot. He felt it was better to back out and give him time.

An 11 pointer with split brow tines, with and approximate weight of 220 lbs. Notice the buck's swollen neck. Greg said he was chasing a doe, when he shot him.

View attachment 37581
View attachment 37582

Bowhunter57

That's awesome Dan!! Boy Greg sure is gray these days. Tell him TJ's brother Derek says congrats and he's still got it!