Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

ATV Brake is locked up

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Sorry to hear about all of this Dan. Hope you can get it repaired soon brother.

Get well soon "Slugger" :smiley_bike: :smiley_bestwishes:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Gotta tell ya Jeffie, Slugger is a trooper - you should have seen him on the Epic Ride at Mingo.

Brakes are back together. Thanks to everyone for the encouragement to stick with it and do it myself.

I have to get one cable adjustment wingnut that got boogered up and and stripped, then adjust the brakes, but it's driveable now.

I've got pics I'll post soon of some of the steps.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Great to hear danno! Beat that chest and let it be known you are the ruler of the garage. Few things beat fixing something yourself, for the first time!!

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Now that I've torn it down, I can do it again next time BEFORE it becomes a problem. If we go on another epic ride, I'll just pull the drum and clean everything up as a preventative measure. When the shit ain't seized up, it's easy on and off.

Now here's the kicker - I ordered a batch of parts from the dealer - shoes, some o rings, seals, snap rings, etc.
$134 total.
(Fixed the $450 back plate with JB Weld equivalent from Autozone.)
Went to pick the parts up, identified myself, and they handed me a box.
Didn't offer to go thru it line by line, and I didn't feel like messing with them, I was in a hurry, so I just took the chance.
Well, turns out they didn't include the snap rings and 1 o-ring I needed.
Not a big deal money wise, I had an O ring in my plumbing kit that I subbed, and Tractor Supply had snap rings for $0.99.
But the fact that I had to spend time and go hunt those down pissed me off a little, so I'm just gonna keep the 3 extra complete sets of brake shoes that they included in my box. Slugger has shoes for life now.

I'll be going to Harbor Freight after work and buying an assortment of snap rings and O-rings for the shelf.
I love it when I need something and have it already.