Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

where would you hunt?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
tomorrow am, before a cold front.

1. over plot full of oats, wheat brassicas
2. over scape between 3 plots and a feeder
3. in a bottom, off spin feeder, next to clear cut.

I am assuming wind is perfect, just having a bitch of a time picking a stand! Help!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I was really leaning towards 2 since I haven't hunted it yet this year. However, I just had a feeling number 1 might be good. Also have had good movement at 3!

Haven't hunted 2 yet so its so tough!

How do you all normally pick your spot?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I was really leaning towards 2 since I haven't hunted it yet this year. However, I just had a feeling number 1 might be good. Also have had good movement at 3!

Haven't hunted 2 yet so its so tough!

How do you all normally pick your spot?

I go with my gut. I also try to rotate spots. Sometimes I am forced to hunt a spot I really don't want to due to the winds. If the winds don't work for where I really want to hunt, but I still want to hunt, I hunt the safe bet. I play it conservative until I know the bucks are all silly acting. Then I might push the envelope a bit. It isn't until rut is in full swing of seeking/chasing that I might get a little lax on the wind. I still use all scent control to include smoking up.

For your situation: IF the winds work for stand 2 that you haven't hunted. . . No better way to gather intel than sitting in a stand.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Well I chose number 2! I couldn't decide and wind isn't bad for it. Got in and noticed a fresh scrape about 40 yards from stand. Hopefully it's a good morning.

brancher147

If I had those three choices I would probably find my own spot following sign and looking for a terrain feature a big buck would use this time of year. But you can't let other people tell you where to hunt, you must pick the best spot using the knowledge you have. Otherwise you will just second guess yourself and further confuse the situation.