Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Treecoy - Creating a beacon for big bucks.

I did this a couple of years ago, but used a pine tree with some oak branches attached to it. I had modest success with it. They never did develop a scrap under it, but they did rub on it. I may have to give it another go.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
20160826_112753.jpg

Finally got my cedar "planted"about a week ago. I chose a spot where 2 tractor paths came together in a T pattern. Thickets on each side of the "T" and Corn to the south of it. Now we wait.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Was curious if you all think it would be beneficial to put a cedar post in the ground somewhat near my stand?
That's kinda the point of this thread buddy. LOL. Cedar posts will do the same as the cedar trees we all planted. And you can screw some branches on the top for them to lick/scrape under.

OO2

In the Uplands
I know I was just curious if it would be singled out by the deer vs a bunch of other trees in big woods. Guess it never hurts to try

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Real quick before I update this, Photobucket, you greedy bastards, thanks for ruining another thread. For 13 years, I've been contributing content, for free, to the general discussion on multiple forums. From all of us forum goers who have worked hard to present quality information for which your corporate greed has screw up, fuck you.

------

Now that I have that out of my system, here's a look at the 2017 edition of the creek bottom treecoy. I moved the stand from the north side of the creek to the south side, so I pulled the treecoy location closer to the stand. I took this from another part of the farm, but I should plant one here eventually! There is a main trail just to the right of the treecoy that crosses the creek. There's always a massive scrape on the other side of the creek and a goat trail coming off the shelf 60' in elevation above the creek. When a deer comes off that south facing hillside and crosses the creek, this treecoy is staring it right in the face.

DSCN2813.jpg

When I deer walks out of my sanctuary and scans the food plot, the treecoy stands out. The rest of the creek bottom is head high weeds except for a couple mashed down trails and this food plot. Lots of good edge and security in what's a wide open creek bottom otherwise.

It's a 23 yard shot from my stand to the treecoy. The new Browning Strike Force Pro is keeping an eye on it for me.

DSCN2814.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have always thought of this but never tried it!

I think it is a great tactic. I wish I could find this article, but years ago I read about a guy that killed deer using a white 5-gallon bucket. He hunted flat, open timber, so he'd take a white 5-gallon bucket and set it 20 yards in front of his stand. He said deer would be strolling through the woods and he'd hit them with a grunt or a bleat and more often than not, they'd stop, see the bucket, then proceed to walk directly to the bucket to investigate what it was. Deer are curious animals and a white 5-gallon bucket looks more like a deer's ass than a predator, so they're not likely to be scared of it at first glance. The "treecoy" concept plays on the same type of curiosity. I'm very pleased with the results I've experienced with the tactic.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I planted a mock tree close to my stand 2 years ago and the small bucks tore it up. New one is in the works this weekend.

Last edited:

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
That's looking really good. I threw up a cedar post in the middle of my sugar beet plot and fastened a branch to the top. If anything else I should get some neat trail cam pics...