Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

K's First Hunt

Mao

Coshocton, OH
So cool man. I remember when Layla was that size. I complained about carrying her and all our stuff. Now that she is older I kind of miss it. Great right up and awesome story!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I appreciate all the kind words fellas. I'm still on cloud nine and my dog weighs more than that deer! lmao

I talked about this with a few others via text, but this was a huge confidence builder for me. After missing my first deer I ever shot at with a bow in '99, then making a rookie mistake on a tracking job the following year, I went on a tear with my bow. I went 12 seasons and close to 20 deer before experiencing another failure kill and recover. In 2013, I hit a doe high that dropped at the shot. I made the mistake of shooting at her even though she was on high alert and it cost me. She survived and on opening day last year, the same doe completely dodged the arrow. I can still see the slow-mo replay of that shot in my head and it was like a scene from the Matrix! Those two encounters shook my confidence and I lost that certainty that when I turned loose an arrow, it was a dead deer. Life was hectic with our first child and I let my practice suffer. I made a commitment this summer to get back the old me and I saw it pay off Tuesday night. From the tunnel vision I got when I clipped on my release, to the auto-pilot that took over, to the follow through that helped bury that arrow in the 10-ring on a small target, I gained back some of that confidence I lost. I was worried about what would happen in the moment of truth this fall if/when I encountered a shooter buck. Thankfully, those worries were squelched with a single shot. I feel like the old me (minus the bad shoulder) and it couldn't have came at a better time!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Jesse this story has me grinnin ear to ear bud. It makes me happy to see you and Tracie and K all out making memories. This is truly what life's all about.

Enjoy the snack sticks.

angelzd28

Man this story is great! Having a 3 year old daughter myself, reading this just makes me want to get her out in the woods to enjoy the memories. Keep doing what your doing and paying it forward.

Buckmaster

Portage
Congratulations Jesse.

Welcome to the next level of hunting.....with your kid(s).

I'd trade a nice buck hunt for that hunt with kids any day.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
warms the heart, can't wait to do that with my boys.

Gosh dang, was gonna post the exact same words. I've had my boy out in the woods with me but havent taken a weapon yet. What you just accomplished and passed on is what I will consider the pinnacle of my hunting career. To see and hear the excitement in your little girl is just awesome. I would say indescribable, but you did a masterful job on your description of the hunt. Congratulations

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I remember getting my ass chewed on another site back in the day when I posted pics of Remi laying between my feet while shooting trap. He was 8 weeks old at the time and people told me I would make him gun shy. I tried to explain that had he had an issue with the guns going off, he certainly wouldn't have picked between my feet as they place to take a nap! That dog has never been gun shy and exposing him at an early age, didn't hurt a thing. To me, exposure and evaluation is the key. Yes, my daughter is still 2 months shy of being 3, however she shows an interest in deer and has been exposed to several elements of the hunt prior to this. I want what we experienced to be the norm for her and I think we are on the right track. Next year when our box blind is done, we'll expose her to mommy shooting a deer (hopefully). K is going to grow up in a hunting family and there's no time like the present to start learning!

Buckmaster

Portage
K is going to grow up in a hunting family and there's no time like the present to start learning!

That's right....weights down the backpack carrying those crayons, coloring books, Ipod, snacks, and extra clothes......but worth the end reward, Time and memories made with your Mini.

NEOhunter

Great read and they way it all worked out is awesome. Really enjoyed the pictures, the story, and the video. I think this post is the kick in the pants to get my daughter out with me. She is 3, almost 4, and I've been debating on whether or not to take her out. She helps me in the summer with checking cameras and putting out supplements and enjoys being outside so I think it's time.

Enjoy the snack sticks

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Maybe one of the most touching write-ups you have done Jess!

Congratulations on such a memorable experience. I love the pictures!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Just sat down and read this front too back.... Smiled the whole time doing it.... I remember you being nervous at the prospect of becoming a father and now look at you lol....

That little lady is going too be one hell of a hunter here in the next decade, especially with you mentoring her like that....

Last edited: