Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

To pee or not to pee

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
i made some scrapes and used some scent in them but havent had much luck with deer pee, watched a buck turn inside out and run off when it smelled some tinks i had out

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I mostly just piss in the scrapes when I find them...I have 2 hot scrapes that I keep freshened up until about now...then I will freshen them up if I have to GO only when I'm out there hunting.

This year I carried a bottle of Doe P with me for the times I didn't have to GO...and would put some drops in the scrapes occasionally. They will hit these scrapes pretty good this week and next and I will likely have a new deer that I haven't seen before show up, but this is usually at night.

I thought about getting an estrous dripper over them to see if I could get some more daytime movement but still on the fence about adding more "scents" to the area.

a lot of you mentioned Ever Calm in lieu of bottled Doe P...what makes it different than bottled doe P? Out of curiosity.

The only scents that I believe actually work to some degree these days is Evercalm and Buck Fever Synthetics. The synthetics is a surprise to me the first time I used them because when I smelled the product from the container I couldn't smell any strong odor, nothing like most 'urine' based. The proof was in the pudding on mock scrapes though for me. I have always urinated in mock scrapes but there are times when you just don't have any to put in them LOL. The one year we had several mock scrapes set up and had bucks visiting them until we ran out of BF. Tried the Tink's Powerscrape as it is a synthetic that smelled more like the urine products and the deer basically shut down and barely used the scrapes. This year it seems they are hitting the BF scrapes again.

Buckmaster

Portage
I always bought The Tinks 69 for over 20 years. I finally quit using it about 5 years ago.
I found no effects positive or negative, with or without.

Past couple years I have tried the EverCalm. No verdict on that product either.

I still smoke up and try to play the wind.

I do pee in active scraps and out of my tree stand when I feel the need.

Nothing like a little steamy recycled Folgers coffee in the air on those chilly mornings.

buckcrazy1

Back when I was 18-19(2007) I experimented with about every type of scent I think and the only one that I had good luck with was scent shields dominant buck w tarsal gland! I put it on a buck decoy Nov 1, 2007 and had one buck posture up to it and grunt and snort wheeze literally 20+ times at it before a doe popped out and he chased it off, then five minutes later a 3.5 year old buck came out and went up to it and literally mounted it and knocked it over! So if u have the itching to try something, I suggest scent shield buck urine but it's like $30 for 2OZ of the good stuff! The last 7 years I haven't used any attractants or baits at all really, I'm better at being invisible than I am at trying to be a deer! Good luck, please let us know your results if u try any deer tinkle!

buckstar25

T-county
I have seen it work and I have seen deer completely ignore it. Until Evercalm came around I always had a bottle of something with me. Black Widow scents, literally have scared the shit out every deer that came in contact with it. I have a line on a guy that makes his own scents, the stuff looks like bottles vomit but it is absolutely the best stuff I have used. The smell.....it is absolutely putrid! I honestly think it is timing, just like rattling and using calls. Sometimes you get a decent response, other times a big buck shows up. I dont go in the woods without Evercalm though.

I will give an example of timing, last season, my buddy tagged out and decided to sit with me and maybe get some video. The other guy in our group left a Buck bomb sitting on the porch. We made a joke and I grabbed it, got to my stand and I let it off on a dead fall. 2 hours later one of the biggest bucks I have ever had a chance at shows up at 36 yds and knocked the can off of the tree. Timing was right, had the right deer close to my location. Not convinced it was the buck bomb but it was amazing to watch him literally walk right to the can.

brancher147

I usually buy one bottle of pee a year, whatever is the cheapest. I will put a little on my boots if I must cross a good trail close to my stand. Other than that don't use any. I piss in scrapes this time of year and will "open" a scrape up if it has not been touched and then piss in it. I just try to drink plenty of water before I do it so my piss doesn't smell like coffee or something. I have never seen a buck turn away from one of my pee scrapes. EK000293.jpg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'll piss in scrapes anytime I need to go and stopped buying bottled piss a long time ago! Like Brian, he turned me onto JVS for mock scrapes and it works like a charm.