Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Old Bruser

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Nice buck once again! Congrats. How many cameras do you run on a given property to try and narrow down their paths and movements? And how often do you check the cams? I am just curious about your regimen and what worked and has worked for you. Im thinking about putting all 5 of my cams on a 60 acre property I have and seeing if it helps more than just having 1 or 2 cams there.

On this property I have 6 cams set up, two wireless. The non wireless i check once a week usually around noon or so. This property has around 450 acres I think. Half or slightly over half is huntable ground rest is ag.
Now this property is a lot different than most properties I hunt contrary to what some people think of my others. This one is full of deer. As I said in a previous thread I had this buck pegged down in a small area. He was going two ways once he got up. I put my cell cam up on the way I thought he was using most frequently after getting numerous pics of em on the moultrie. When your getting pics at 530 in the evening and 745 in the morning your close to his bed and that's what you gotta do. It's risky but is been proven time and time again that it works. I think I answered your question if not let me know what I missed

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hell of a deer Doug... Congrats! Any idea what he weighed? Looks like a real toad. One of those deer with a body so big it makes the rack look somewhat smaller than it really is.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hell of a deer Doug... Congrats! Any idea what he weighed? Looks like a real toad. One of those deer with a body so big it makes the rack look somewhat smaller than it really is.

Agreed. I would say 300+lbs. I would say 325-350lbs. Hope you got a weight on him JD. Then again, doubt you drug him home to weigh him if he was stinking like he was. lol

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I reckon laying dead that long he's pretty bloated in the pics making him look bigger than he actually was but I bet he was still well over the 200# mark.

Were you able to salvage the cape? Just wondered if it was too late for the hair to start slipping.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
It wasn't slipping yet but we would of had to lift him over a fence to get him out and buzzards and turkeys had already tore into his rear end. I decided to just cut the head off and do a euro. I have a cape in the freezer yet from 2012 if I ever decide to mount it

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
On this property I have 6 cams set up, two wireless. The non wireless i check once a week usually around noon or so. This property has around 450 acres I think. Half or slightly over half is huntable ground rest is ag.
Now this property is a lot different than most properties I hunt contrary to what some people think of my others. This one is full of deer. As I said in a previous thread I had this buck pegged down in a small area. He was going two ways once he got up. I put my cell cam up on the way I thought he was using most frequently after getting numerous pics of em on the moultrie. When your getting pics at 530 in the evening and 745 in the morning your close to his bed and that's what you gotta do. It's risky but is been proven time and time again that it works. I think I answered your question if not let me know what I missed

Thanks. Sounds like finding his core area is the hard part of the puzzle, but you found it. What kind of cover was he bedding in? Was it CRP, a thicket, or a combination of terrain?