Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2015 Rut Report, County, Conditions

Hogmister13

Take your rattling horns, been seeing a lot of sparring and they are starting to really braw. Also been seeing a lot of dead deer on the highway sometimes indicates bucks starting to move a lot and push does.

Isaacorps

Columbus
Planning on doing some rattling in the morning. I figure they'll be out tonight with the weather moving in. Might pique some interest as they head back to bed

Gordo

Athens County
I havent seen any chasing yet or intense behvior. Went on a nice drive last night with the binocs looking for just that. Either way, we all know things are happening somewhere. Time to be in the woods and hope one of the first hot does brings by the buck parade

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Heading out this morning too duck hunt, saw numerous groups of doe moving.... Not one buck in tow.... Columbiana/Mahoning counties....

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Licking Co. Seen bucks chasing does twice in 2 days. Not just a bump either..... actually seen deer running both times. Getting warmer I'd say.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Allen County. Nothing. One dead year old buck from a car. Busy road and he was a busy buck. Had him on multiple cameras and saw him from the stand multiple times. Not because he was chasing. Just because he was dumb. Rut isn't happening this year.

Good luck. If you are hunting anyway. . . Does it matter what the rut is going on? You will know when you hit the stand I suppose.

Concordmeadowsfarm

SE Ohio
Dead bucks between Columbus and Athens, along 33, increased dramatically today, since I drove to work on Thursday. No huntung for me as my wicked cough and snotty nose. Hope to get back into woods on Tuesday.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The movement down here on the Butler and Hamilton county line is slooooooow, of course ain't any deer here at my work! LMAO

Good luck to those able to get out today! Should be some hitting the ground today before this rain headed our way!

Bigcountry40

Tuscarwaras County- I hunted friday night- saturday night and never seen a deer in 3 sits, never had that happen before on this property. Driving around at night, deer were every where, they were nocturnal this past weekend. There is a full moon coming and the moon was basically full the enitre weekend with contamination of foggy mornings might explain why deer were moving after dark. I think we are week or two away personally, the warm weather does not help

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Had a year and a half chasing a button buck in Allen County last night. The gay right should be starting soon. The hetero rut should coincide about a week later. Maybe less than a week. It is always exciting to see the gay buck chasing. I know Boar head looks forward to it every year. Lmao

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Had a year and a half chasing a button buck in Allen County last night. The gay right should be starting soon. The hetero rut should coincide about a week later. Maybe less than a week. It is always exciting to see the gay buck chasing. I know Boar head looks forward to it every year. Lmao

Sounds like watching Brian and Ric on the playground when they were kids back in the 40s. lmao

Kaiser878

ohio
Tuscarwaras County- I hunted friday night- saturday night and never seen a deer in 3 sits, never had that happen before on this property. Driving around at night, deer were every where, they were nocturnal this past weekend. There is a full moon coming and the moon was basically full the enitre weekend with contamination of foggy mornings might explain why deer were moving after dark. I think we are week or two away personally, the warm weather does not help
The ruts over in Tusc county......

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Lucas County...got video of a nice size buck for my area following a doe around the property, then she led him into some cover and I don't know what happened to them after that...I'm pretty sure he bred her though...she let him catch up to her then stayed put when he went in after her...This was Thursday evening 10/22..I hunted till noon the next day and didn't see squat.

Last edited:

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio

yup, between the 2 of us that hunt our property, we didn't see a thing all day Saturday or Sunday. A lot in the fields on the way in. Our property mostly sucks though.