Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2 Firsts

First time posting on TOO. Been lurking around for a while seeing all the great info and ball busting going on here so I figured I'd join in.

The other "first" was taking my step daughter out this past Sunday on a Mosquito Youth Gun Hunt, which also happened to be her first deer hunt ever.

We got our assigned area and I knew right where we were going to set up. It was a small strip of woods right between a field and a big swamp.

There were what looked like some heavily used deer trails back there once we arrived, so I figured it was worth a shot.

No more than an hour later, I look back into the field to see...

a guy and his son walking straight at us about 150 yds out.

I'm thinking this hunt is over for the time being, and then I just happened to look back into the woods and here comes a little buck, nose to the ground cruisin for some hot doe ass.

He was moving quick and got to within 20 yds. before she could actually get a shot. BOOM.....HIT.

He mule kicked but did something I have never seen a deer do....he just started walking off. Then, once he saw the other guys coming, he blew and took off.

So now Im thinking she may have not hit him. The other guy and his son come over and offer to help search. I walk right to the spot where he was when she shot and see a giant pile of hair and blood. Gut shot. Crap. He's gonna be in PA before he dies if he does at all.

So we follow the blood which was actually pretty good. We were using those Hornady SST's out of her 20 gauge and they really tear them up.

Follow blood for 100 yds. and there he lay! I couldn't believe it. Turns out he was quartering away more than I thought when she shot, and it clipped the back of his liver.

The look on her face was priceless. Amazing experience to witness. But talk about beginners luck! She wasn't even out long enough to get cold!

Alex deer.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Well done sir! Welcome to the forum. Getting kids involved in the outdoors is about as good as it gets! Kudos to you for taking her out.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Congrats on her first (and many more too come) buck, nice size body on him.... Should be plenty of meat in the freezer....

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I always love the stories of parents taking their kids out hunting. Thanks for a great first post, hope you contribute a lot more.

Yeah I really like seeing the kids get the deer.