Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Thoughts/opinions

runhunter

Isn't that how it always works? The guys who aren't totally vested in something, end up catching/killing the good ones??? I'm going to take the "looks like a deer" to me approach next year, see what happens haha

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Isn't that how it always works? The guys who aren't totally vested in something, end up catching/killing the good ones??? I'm going to take the "looks like a deer" to me approach next year, see what happens haha

HAHA. Pretty much.

I don't fish much and never have. One of my buddies is ate up with it and has some great places to fish. He took me to a ranch where he had permission to fish a couple 2-3 acre lakes and a farm pond one year around 4th of July. We started on the upper lake and were ripping 2-3 pounders on top water like it was nothing. Even my rookie ass was tearing it up and enjoying the bass thumb. We moved to the next lake and it was more of same. With a storm moving in, we moved down to the pond. He had caught a 7lbs. female out of that pond a week earlier and was mad he put her back. Said it was his biggest fish and should have mounted her. So I watched him fish for a few minutes before picking a spot near where he started. First cast with a Hula Popper produced a nice swirl from what I knew was a good fish. On the second cast, I got a made for TV hit as she lept from the water and tossed her head back and forth. My buddy saw the hit and yells: "Don't let her go!!!" as he took off running. Next thing I know, he's up to his knees in the pond, cowboy boots and all, scooping her up. We snapped a few pics and he headed to get a cooler when I slid her back in the water. He called me a few choice names and I laughed. Told him I didn't feel right mounting her (7lbs. 6 oz) and she'd be there for him another day.

A couple weeks later, he caught her again. She had a rip in her lip on each side. Once from him, once from me and he landed her on a rubber worm. She now hangs in his man cave is made an amazing mount.

runhunter

Ha ha that's a great story man. One of my buddies is breaking my balls because I got a replica made. He doesn't care that the fish looks very close in markings and color to the one I actually caught. I was on vacation that week and was not prepared to pack up a fish and mail it out. Not to mention,I'm 100% a fan of catch and release when it comes to a fish I don't eat. The funny thing is he breaks my balls about this, but has deer hanging in his house that have capes from other bucks. Not sure I'm understanding the logic Lol

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
looks good. ive seen some taxis that get carried away with the color of the fish and the clear and they dont even look close to how a fish should look.