Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Taxidermy

Kaiser878

ohio
Very nice detail. I just wish more people would pay for the detail.
Being a taxidermist is a tough business.... you have weekend warriors and tight wads that think 300 is a lot for a mount. Some people can't afford more than 300 for a mount. I can't fault them. But the guy who calls 6 taxis and his first question is, "how much to get a deer mounted!" Then takes it to the one who is the cheapest, you will never get that person to understand quality or detail. Even when the mount is 5 yo and cracking and coming undone.

I want to see work first. I don't even ask a price. I give them what they tell me the day I pick it up. I'll gladly pay 500-700 for a quality mount. I know gern pays a bundle for his mounts also, but his taxi does a great job.

So when a taxi charges 500-700 he is targeting a different group of people than the guy charging 300. And that taxidermist knows that when potential clients don't come to him. ... typically it won't hurt that taxis feelings either.

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
I agree with you 100 %. The more I do this the more I think I've went about it wrong from the beginning.I should have been building a clientele more like yourself. I have a few guys that never ask the price good customers like Phil, but a lot are about price. They wouldn't know quality if it hit them in the face. Been thinking about this for awhile hence the name change from whitetailspecialties to my name. Just seemed like I was begging for work.This year here and Facebook I will let the pics do the talking. I know what Eric was charging and I know what he was planning to go to. I'm no where near as good as him, but gives me something to shoot for.

Kaiser878

ohio
A lot of taxidermists don't understand the art of building a good relationship with their clientel. If you have a fella who is a repeat customer..... u treat that fella well. .... because he is obviously a repeat customer for multiple reasons... on his end and on yours. Chances are good, he also is surrounded by other hunters who will soon need a taxidermist as well. And if he has a great relationship with you, he is gonna send his buddies your way.... regardless of price.....

It's all about back rubs.... not in a queer way either..... ha I'm not talking mounting deer for free or taking hundreds off deer either.... but just making a client know u appreciate his work....I only speak of this, because I'm that customer. I know how the game works. And I have expectations. I also lay those out on the table first thing..... I also bring with me the opportunity for a lot of business....... my wife my dad, my friends..... etc.... and you don't know that about a client.... until you serve him as a taxidermist.

Not that you dont, I'm not referencing you.... im just on roll at this point. And I'm sure u know how this game works as well.... im just talking for those who wanna listen.

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
I get what you are saying. More about quality and customer service, less about price. Give the first two the rest will take care of itself.

Kaiser878

ohio
A lot of taxidermists don't understand the art of building a good relationship with their clientel. If you have a fella who is a repeat customer..... u treat that fella well. .... because he is obviously a repeat customer for multiple reasons... on his end and on yours. Chances are good, he also is surrounded by other hunters who will soon need a taxidermist as well. And if he has a great relationship with you, he is gonna send his buddies your way.... regardless of price.....

It's all about back rubs.... not in a queer way either..... ha I'm not talking mounting deer for free or taking hundreds off deer either.... but just making a client know u appreciate his work....I only speak of this, because I'm that customer. I know how the game works. And I have expectations. I also lay those out on the table first thing..... I also bring with me the opportunity for a lot of business....... my wife my dad, my friends..... etc.... and you don't know that about a client.... until you serve him as a taxidermist.

Not that you dont, I'm not referencing you.... im just on roll at this point. And I'm sure u know how this game works as well.... im just talking for those who wanna listen.
Correct. Not only that, but with setting your prices high and firm, you are more likely to attract that "kind" of clientel. The kind that is dependable, loyal and quality driven.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Mike if I shoot something this year worth mounting I'm going to give you a call. I dropped off my first decent buck last November and still haven't gotten it back. She told me August at the latest when I dropped it off, which was fine. I called a few weeks ago and she acted pissed that I called. I was very polite and just curious if maybe it was done and she lost my number or something. Then she called me a few days ago and asked which pose I wanted but I told her that back in December of last year lol. Have no idea when the thing's going to be done or what it's going to look like but I'm afraid to ask again. Not going to mention the name but I'd rather not go through all this again with the next buck.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Yeah I'm not happy. On the other hand I don't want the thing butchered or put off any longer so I'm keeping my mouth shut. She was recommended by a friend from church and I didn't have any other leads on where to take it. Lesson learned.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yeah I'm not happy. On the other hand I don't want the thing butchered or put off any longer so I'm keeping my mouth shut. She was recommended by a friend from church and I didn't have any other leads on where to take it. Lesson learned.

That's crazy. Hopefully you didn't pay up front. I would go get my shit and take it elsewhere before she even had a chance to screw it up. If she's that far behind I can guarantee she's slapping crap together or bumble fugging through it.

Gordo

Athens County
With a little bit of funding, i can be the best taxi of all time! What you say boys? Its on the house! Ha.

***thats the gin talking. time for bed***

Kaiser878

ohio
Mike if I shoot something this year worth mounting I'm going to give you a call. I dropped off my first decent buck last November and still haven't gotten it back. She told me August at the latest when I dropped it off, which was fine. I called a few weeks ago and she acted pissed that I called. I was very polite and just curious if maybe it was done and she lost my number or something. Then she called me a few days ago and asked which pose I wanted but I told her that back in December of last year lol. Have no idea when the thing's going to be done or what it's going to look like but I'm afraid to ask again. Not going to mention the name but I'd rather not go through all this again with the next buck.
Oh man...... I would have had a Fucking fit...... I would have taken my stuff back and asked for my deposit. No way no how. Ha

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
That's crazy. Hopefully you didn't pay up front. I would go get my shit and take it elsewhere before she even had a chance to screw it up. If she's that far behind I can guarantee she's slapping crap together or bumble fugging through it.

I found the invoice. I dropped it off beginning of December and its $400. I gave her a $100 deposit. Hopefully it turns out good but still going somewhere else on the next one.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
That's messed up, I only have two mounted and both were less than 4 months.... One buy a guy just starting out and the next buy a seasoned pro who had a bout with pneumonia....
Unfortunately if you try to go elsewhere you would probably have too fight for your deposit back....

brancher147

Looks like you scared him away chad!!!

Sorry, I have been out filling deer tags. Forgot about this post. I don't have any mount pics to share, they look good to me and that is all that matters. I try to keep mine as simple as possible, you guys would not be impressed.

Last edited:

Kaiser878

ohio
Sorry, I have been out filling deer tags. Forgot about this post. I don't have any mount pics to share, they look good to me and that is all that matters. I try to keep mine as simple as possible, you guys would not be impressed.
Awesome. What did ya shoot?