Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Taxidermy

Kaiser878

ohio
Well then you better call the ohio taxidermy board and tell them that they gave best of show and all the other awards this year to a taxidermist that doesn't know what he's doing at the ohio state taxidermy competition.

I promise you..... I know what I'm talking about..... the first mistake u made was using a knife to get the skin off around the burrs. Any taxidermist that tells you to do that doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

jeremy44230

Medina County
My taxi has placed 2nd or 3rd in the world and I've only ever caped the top of the neck. If I ever went further, I'm sure I'd only make more work for him!

Your spot on Zach!

LOL I have to agree with Zach on attempting to do it all myself. Not a knock on anyone's post but I know once I get a knife in my hand the results can be a little rough around the edges. Any taxidermists I've ever used have always said they preferred to do it themselves and don't charge a dime more for doing it.

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
Your best bet is to let your taxi skin the head out. The two biggest things people do wrong. They split it up the brisket best to stop at the sternum when field dressing. Or if they cape it out they leave a lot of neck in it. Meat processing places usually charge to cape them out, if you process it your self look at the diagram on my website cut on the dotted lines. If guys bring me the deer I will cape it for free. Once it is caped take it to the taxi he will do the rest.

Eric and Cary both know what they are doing.

Kaiser878

ohio
Your best bet is to let your taxi skin the head out. The two biggest things people do wrong. They split it up the brisket best to stop at the sternum when field dressing. Or if they cape it out they leave a lot of neck in it. Meat processing places usually charge to cape them out, if you process it your self look at the diagram on my website cut on the dotted lines. If guys bring me the deer I will cape it for free. Once it is caped take it to the taxi he will do the rest.

Eric and Cary both know what they are doing.
Yes sir they do..... both are great fellas. I talk with Eric almost on a daily basis. How do you know them?

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
Know both of them through Ohio Taxidermy Association. It's a good place to learn from some of the best.

brancher147

Well then you better call the ohio taxidermy board and tell them that they gave best of show and all the other awards this year to a taxidermist that doesn't know what he's doing at the ohio state taxidermy competition.

I promise you..... I know what I'm talking about..... the first mistake u made was using a knife to get the skin off around the burrs. Any taxidermist that tells you to do that doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

WOW dude! I am done arguing with you, there is more than one way to cape a deer and different people have different ways they prefer.

I am not trying to pick on your picture, I am just being honest here, that is the most ridiculous looking buck mount I have ever seen. But then again I have never gone to any sports shows and looked at deer mounts that win awards. The only award my big bucks get is on my wall, I don't need to show them off to other people and win awards. I am not out to impress other people, I just enjoy hunting big bucks and if it is big enough I may choose to preserve the memory on my wall. Honestly at this point, it would have to be over 180" for me to even consider anything more than a European mount, and if I kill a world record buck I will cape it out myself and take it to my taxi who charges about $300 and nobody will ever know any difference when it is hanging on my wall. Hunting is not a beauty contest!

Kaiser878

ohio
WOW dude! I am done arguing with you, there is more than one way to cape a deer and different people have different ways they prefer.

I am not trying to pick on your picture, I am just being honest here, that is the most ridiculous looking buck mount I have ever seen. But then again I have never gone to any sports shows and looked at deer mounts that win awards. The only award my big bucks get is on my wall, I don't need to show them off to other people and win awards. I am not out to impress other people, I just enjoy hunting big bucks and if it is big enough I may choose to preserve the memory on my wall. Honestly at this point, it would have to be over 180" for me to even consider anything more than a European mount, and if I kill a world record buck I will cape it out myself and take it to my taxi who charges about $300 and nobody will ever know any difference when it is hanging on my wall. Hunting is not a beauty contest!
Yes I would agree with you, there is more than one way to cape a deer. It's called the right way and the wrong way..... that's the difference between a good taxidermist vs a taxidermist that's a hack.....

Getting a deer mounted is absolutely a beauty contest. I want that deer to look identical to what it did when it was alive.... and the previous photo I posted, is about as lifelike as you will EVER get.... EVER!!!!!! If im getting a deer mounted, I want it to look the same way in 40 years as it does today........

Here's a couple more he's done.... since u clearly have no clue what quality work looks like. Take mental notes.
uploadfromtaptalk1445434211340.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1445434230260.jpg

Just as a point of reference deer are fundamentally one of the easiest and most basic mounts to accomplish. This especially with todays products (i.e. Forms, Coatings, etc...) that are on the market. I have seen some really bad mounts but all in all because the simplicity of what actually goes into doing a shoulder mount I would offer what typically sets one apart from another is more so postures in relation to over all display. It seems that you have utmost confidence in your taxidermist which is good as that is how he builds cliental is through quality work and as a point of note to judge a mount through a picture is really tough if you know what your looking for. My dad has been in many state competitions so I am pretty familiar with the judging of mounts. In general just based on the pictures you presented the craftsmanship seems very on point but as stated in todays market the forms come pre built with the veins and muscle textures that at one point taxidermists used to have to build themselves with epoxy resins/castings. Taxidermy has changed quite a bit over the last 20 years to a point that the competition is very intense that many times it comes down to the overall presence and display of the mount and not so much the actually workmanship of the animal itself because the outputs are so similar from one competitor to another.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Those look great Zach!
Sure is a difference between so so and a great mount.
I want mine to look great so i guess it is a beauty contest in some ways.
Have seen some real crappy mounts out ther,hell go to the D@T expo and you can figure out the cheap mounts in a hurry.
I have friends over that hunt so i'm not the only one that sees my mounts and want them to look good.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Me thinks some people just enjoy being contrarians...
What's up with these big words you be using? I'm going to have to Google that one Lol.
a person who opposes or rejects popular opinion, especially in stock exchange dealing.

adjective

opposing or rejecting popular opinion; going against current practice.

"the comment came more from a contrarian disposition than moral conviction"

Me thinks some people just enjoy being contrarians...

Seems there are a few these days LOL!! Especially when the OP asked about taxidermists and it turns into how to cape out your deer head and all the other mumbo-jumbo that got mentioned there for a bit. Kaiser's taxi seems to clearly know what he's doing and is a great reference to the question posed by the OP. What all the other stuff about killing a world record buck and hunting isn't a beauty contest means I have no idea!

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm in the group that pays close attention to the facial details more so than poses. Sure I love neat poses and displays but if the detail is done like Crayons from a window licker versus oils from an astute artist putting their reputation on the line then I'm for the detail everyday of the week!!!

You can tell which mounts get the love and those that don't. There's some displayed up at the D&T Expo I'd be so ashamed of regardless of how big or neat the rack looks I would never had brought the darn thing! ......and to think somebody prolly paid hard earned money for it TOO!

I've watched a friend and my taxidermist cape out lots of deer over the years and they're both anal about detail and doing things right or not at all! Those two can cape my deer out anytime cuz I know they will not be rushed and it will be done right!