Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anybody want to take a guess at what happened?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Perhaps what you consider crap talking is actually based upon season after season of watching people lose deer due to said broadhead. Hard to believe I know, but some of have been around long enough to have seen a pattern. If you don't believe me google rages lack of penetration, it's not like people make this stuff up, it's a well know issue with the head.
The only time I've ever had an issue with rages is when I hit a buck square in the shoulder. I guess that's to be somewhat expected when you figure how wide the head opens. Every deer I've shot behind the shoulder has been a complete pass through and buried deep in the dirt. I'm up for trying a fixed blade head, but don't have much experience tuning a bow. Which is why I went with the rages when I started bowhunting 4 years ago. I see those guys on TV shooting deer behind the shoulder and having 10 inches of arrow sticking out, not sure what they are shooting though but even at 40 yards I had a complete pass through on the buck I shot this year. I'm sure some guys might be shooting light arrows also.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The only time I've ever had an issue with rages is when I hit a buck square in the shoulder. I guess that's to be somewhat expected when you figure how wide the head opens. Every deer I've shot behind the shoulder has been a complete pass through and buried deep in the dirt. I'm up for trying a fixed blade head, but don't have much experience tuning a bow. Which is why I went with the rages when I started bowhunting 4 years ago. I see those guys on TV shooting deer behind the shoulder and having 10 inches of arrow sticking out, not sure what they are shooting though but even at 40 yards I had a complete pass through on the buck I shot this year. I'm sure some guys might be shooting light arrows also.

The problem is not every buck gets shot behind the shoulder while standing broadside. Things happen like the deer turns or perhaps a different shot is required. When things like that happen that's when a broadheads true performance is shown. Any broadhead will perform on a broadhead shot. Years ago while walking back to the truck I jumped a doe and grabbed an arrow out of my quiver and shot. I hit her perfect behind the shoulder above the pocket. We looked for blood but was unable to find any. I had accidentally grabbed my one field tip from the quiver. We found her a little over 100 yard later and that field tip had killed her dead. If I was to use that as an example I could say on broadside shots behind the shoulder even a field tip will kill a deer so why even use a broadhead at all. This is the same argument lots of rage users make. "On broadside behind the shoulder shots they work great." Deer have been lost with every broadhead ever made and none of them are a guarantee. But some perform far less than others. That's all I'm saying.

Bigcountry40

I use rage, have never had an issue, but have heard that it does have penetration issues, especially with bone. I was under the impression the issue was based off of the 3 bladed rage. I may switch after reading this topic that is off topic (we are supposed to figure out what is wrong with my buddies deer) lol

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444653453.967853.jpg

I borrowed it from Milo lol....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I use rage, have never had an issue, but have heard that it does have penetration issues, especially with bone. I was under the impression the issue was based off of the 3 bladed rage. I may switch after reading this topic that is off topic (we are supposed to figure out what is wrong with my buddies deer) lol

Bigfoot happened.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
2 different deer. Any barbwire fences around? Could have caught a barb while trying to slide past with it being that high on the shoulder/back. The only other thing would be somebody shooting them. Could even be somebody road hunting at night with a rifle and spotlight. Doesn't always have to be a booner they are shooting at.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Could be worse. How about a slug hole through both ears.

Reminds me of a friend of my sons who we took out during gun season who shot at a doe and she just stood there shaking her head back and forth... Put a round right thru the cartilage, second round was on the money....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Broadhead wouldn't have mattered on that deer. .... looks like a terrible shot angle and a graze
Don't see many arguments with this statement. My thoughts were possibly a guy on the ground shooting at an upward angle on a hard quartering to shot. Horrible angle. I suspect car. Deer sees car. Deer stops, body drops as it begins to spin back around. License plate slices the crap out of it. Probably a truck or maybe van/SUV.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Shot a deer like this once to put it out of it's miserable existence. Had a big spot on it's shoulder and on it's rump. Once it was down I pushed on it's shoulder with my foot and about a quart of whitish green puss oozed out. Then I found a couple more spots on it. Looked like it was shot multiple times with a 22. Anyway my guess is the infection bulged out and busted the hide open or it snagged the access on a stick. Either way it fed the animal of the field.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
saw this on instagram, so shot with a bow is not out of the question, says shot with a shwacker

Very very hard angle quartering away. If he was using a mechanical where the blades open to the rear that arrow would have kicked off as it opened and never buried the tip.