Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anybody want to take a guess at what happened?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
saw this on instagram, so shot with a bow is not out of the question, says shot with a shwacker
And not a vital organ was injured that day. . . At least it appears to have just ripped open flesh from the cell phone pic I viewed.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Its obvious it was a spear like the one Tim Wells throws . Damn spear chucker took a unethical throw . Prolly was at least 15 yds away ...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
saw this on instagram, so shot with a bow is not out of the question, says shot with a shwacker

Very very hard angle quartering away. If he was using a mechanical where the blades open to the rear that arrow would have kicked off as it opened and never buried the tip.

Lundy

Or shot with a Powerbelt :D from a MZ at close range like this one shot a few of years ago by the landowners grandson

The problem is not every buck gets shot behind the shoulder while standing broadside. Things happen like the deer turns or perhaps a different shot is required. When things like that happen that's when a broadheads true performance is shown. Any broadhead will perform on a broadhead shot. Years ago while walking back to the truck I jumped a doe and grabbed an arrow out of my quiver and shot. I hit her perfect behind the shoulder above the pocket. We looked for blood but was unable to find any. I had accidentally grabbed my one field tip from the quiver. We found her a little over 100 yard later and that field tip had killed her dead. If I was to use that as an example I could say on broadside shots behind the shoulder even a field tip will kill a deer so why even use a broadhead at all. This is the same argument lots of rage users make. "On broadside behind the shoulder shots they work great." Deer have been lost with every broadhead ever made and none of them are a guarantee. But some perform far less than others. That's all I'm saying.

I was on a buddy hunt with a friend. We had a doe come in, he knocked an arrow, he shot her and she dropped right in her tracks. Walk up to her pull the arrow out of the chest cavity (it probably got 12" of penetration) and find out he had killed her with a bare shaft. Turns out his broadhead had worked itself loose overtime and was stuck in the quiver. Just thought I would share a similar experience as it shows how a well place shot makes more of a difference then what you are shooting at it. Also shows how lethal any object moving at 300 FPS is.