Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Make your own safety line

rsmith

Have used this video and shared multiple times to help other out. Friend of mine just fell about 12 feet up climbing his sticks to get into his stand. Told him I would make him one just get me the rope. He insisted he was a good climber and have climbed the set multiple time and didn't need one. Looks like he should have listened to me

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
There are several things I don't like about the video, but I do like that he made a video about being safe.

First, Everyone needs to be aware that you can't just go buy rope off the shelf at the hardware store. It is not made to handle the forces of a fall. You need a rope that is rated for climbing, and built to withstand abrasion and the weather. the stuff you go and buy from Lowes or Home Depot isn't going to cut it, and you shouldn't risk your life on it.

Second, If you are running a static line and a prusik cord, you need to understand that the prusik cord needs to be between 60-80 percent of the diameter of the static line to get a good bite.

Third, I wouldn't trust my life to an overhand knot. It will probably hold, but why risk your life on a "probably." Instead tie a figure eight on the end of the main line.
On the prusik, there were two things. first, I wouldn't tie an overhand knot here either. I would go with a double fisherman knot, with safety's tied on both ends. Once you wrap your prusik around the main line, you don't want your carabiner hanging from the knot, so rotate it out of the apex of the prusik loop.

The intention of the video is great, and I don't fault the guy one bit. He just left out a few important details.

My honest suggestion would be if you don't fully understand ropes and knots, to spend the money and buy the pre-made sets. You're not gonna save much money anyway if you make on your own and make them right anyway.

Last edited:

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Do yourselves a favor and buy the ones made by Hunter Safety System. They are the pros when it comes to this stuff. I know their lifelines are a little pricey but I guarantee if you're ever in a spot where you need it you'll be glad you spent the extra money. And like Fluteman said it doesn't cost all that much more.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm all about saving money, on most things... but to me skimping on something as relatively-cheap as a lifeline system is just borderline absurd. We spend money on so much shit when it comes to hunting... the best arrows, broadheads, treestands, scentsmokers, flashlights, acorn crunchers, buttout tools, etc etc etc... Buying a professionally manufactured and WARRANTIED lifeline system is truly a drop in the bucket.

Gordo

Athens County
There are several things I don't like about the video, but I do like that he made a video about being safe.

First, Everyone needs to be aware that you can't just go buy rope off the shelf at the hardware store. It is not made to handle the forces of a fall. You need a rope that is rated for climbing, and built to withstand abrasion and the weather. the stuff you go and buy from Lowes or Home Depot isn't going to cut it, and you shouldn't risk your life on it.

Second, If you are running a static line and a prusik cord, you need to understand that the prusik cord needs to be between 60-80 percent of the diameter of the static line to get a good bite.

Third, I wouldn't trust my life to an overhand knot. It will probably hold, but why risk your life on a "probably." Instead tie a figure eight on the end of the main line.
On the prusik, there were two things. first, I wouldn't tie an overhand knot here either. I would go with a double fisherman knot, with safety's tied on both ends. Once you wrap your prusik around the main line, you don't want your carabiner hanging from the knot, so rotate it out of the apex of the prusik loop.

The intention of the video is great, and I don't fault the guy one bit. He just left out a few important details.

My honest suggestion would be if you don't fully understand ropes and knots, to spend the money and buy the pre-made sets. You're not gonna save much money anyway if you make on your own and make them right anyway.

What he said....

Greg guy is the man when it comes to knot tying/rope/knitting/etc...

Cant argue with the mofo! Knows his shizzitle.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
One thing too remember is once they are manufactured by say, HSS they load test them as well too make sure they'll hold at least one and a half the listed weight.....