Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bittersweet, but humbling 2015 buck

buckstar25

T-county
No you're right. I don't get it. A lot of us take it serious and don't look at it as just killing. I understand all that very well and agree. What I don't understand is that it's a huge blow to what? You planned and executed on a giant. Not trying to be a dick but stop the bitchin. Lol. This post should be all excitement. Instead it's like your best friend died. Get it together over there. Lol
run, Zach isn't wanting you to understand. His style and mine are different, I understand completely what he is saying. If you know his history and the bucks he has killed you can start to see his point of view.

There are different levels we all (as bowhunters) try to get to. Zach isn't happy with ordinary, completely different than me, I'm happy as shit to kill a random buck. It's easy to say get over it, but respect the guy for what he has done and time he puts in. I get what you're saying, and so does he, and he will get over it, but like he said, he lived for that opportunity (an opportunity he has made good on, ALOT).

That being said, quit bitching and get over it Kaiser! :)

Last edited:

runhunter

I've seen some of his pics and that tells me all I need to know. My comments/opinion have nothing to do with disrespect or not thinking he's accomplished anything. Trust me when I tell you, where I live, we don't have many opportunities at 120" deer, let alone giants like that. But I take hunting just a as serious as he does, guaranteed. ive targeted specific deer, had history for 3-4 years with a few so I get it, I do. When I see pics of a deer like that, regardless of what you've done in your hunting career, the last thing I want to see is apologies, that sucks, I feel your pain, sorry man. That's ridiculous. If I had a gymnasium full of 150's I'd still be thrilled to find that deer half eaten, 2 weeks later. History with deer and targeting/killing a specific one is on another level, but boil it all down...Im a hunter man, not a zoo keeper. Not every story is the bromance fairy tale ending where you and the deer are sharing an acorn on a blanket under a full moon.

Diablo54

Outside
I'm not a person to blame equipment. And I've been on a lot of deer tracking jobs with all broadheads. Good shots and bad shots. From what I can tell, my arrow was where it was supposed to be. Was it the rages fault? That's kinda crazy to even think that. I know everyone here would love to hear me say it was a malfunction with a rage but that's kinda silly. The deer literally probably didn't even run 100 yards. But due to the fact that this whole area is head high weeds and some of the thickest stuff I've ever been in, I literally couldn't see the deer. The high grass is probably the reason I didn't find much blood. I rrally don't care what anyone says, the broadhead didn't matter. No broadhead is going to make a deer bleed any different when the entry is in the paunch on a quartering away shot. And at 40-45 yards no broadhead was gonna pass through at that angle either probably. Might have , but I doubt it. I would also be willing to bet that at that angle I've probably had a 4-6 inch slice going down the side of the deer.

I've killed to many deer and helped track to many other deer than to blame my equipment. This is the first ttime in 18 years bowhunting thus has ever happened to me. I've seen and head it happen to other people, just not me.

There is one thing thay malfunctioned in this whole situation, and that was me. Everything went correctly except for me doing my part at the very end. My eyes failed me more than once in this situation. I take full blame for this. And it's a hard pill to swallow, after such a clean bowhunting history leading up to this

But the thing is, an exit hole up front would have allowed the deer to bleed and given you a trail to follow. I'm not trying to be kicking you while you are down, I've done the same thing as you! However If I was you I'd be tuning arrows for new broadheads. I'll leave it at that. I have lost them and found them a week later too and there is nothing for me to chalk it up to other than hunter error. and it sucks. Just keep your head up. At least you have closure that he is in fact dead.

Kaiser878

ohio
Your not kicking me.... I knew I would hear it from the rage bashers. There's still more waiting for the first person to start, then they will hop on the "bash rage" train. but realistically. At 45 yards on the ground at that angle... I really don't think I would have got a pass through with my montecs anyway .... maybe.... but probably not....

As far as my bow, it's tuned to fixed blades now. I was just shooting Montecs the other day.... I always have a Montec or two in my quiver. ..those are my squirrel, groundhog, coyote arrows.

Honestly, had I been in any other woods. I would have probably seen my arrow in the deer, and I would have seen him fall or lay down.

A freak situation like this isn't enough to make me switch broadheads when I've killed more deer with them than I have fingers and toes. And I've literally watched 99% of them fall..... just a bad deal...

Last edited:

OhioHunter88

Perry County
That is an awesome deer and I want to say congrats on making it all happen, definitely your hard work payed off and you were able to get an arrow in him, may not of ended how you hoped but stuff happens brother. Also I think it is awesome you still tagged him and that shows your true sportsmanship. This is a great learning expiernce for anyone reading this!

Do you feel that shooting a lighted knock may of led you right to him? I'm just curious because I shoot green knockturnals and if I can't find an arrow they are easier than ever to spot after dark.

Kaiser878

ohio
That is an awesome deer and I want to say congrats on making it all happen, definitely your hard work payed off and you were able to get an arrow in him, may not of ended how you hoped but stuff happens brother. Also I think it is awesome you still tagged him and that shows your true sportsmanship. This is a great learning expiernce for anyone reading this!

Do you feel that shooting a lighted knock may of led you right to him? I'm just curious because I shoot green knockturnals and if I can't find an arrow they are easier than ever to spot after dark.
You know the thought crossed my mind after the fsct, a couple times actually... I am not much for the added weight on the back of the arrow. And that's why I have never really used them. But I think in this instance it would have made a difference

Flatlander

Darby Creek
Congrats to you on finding him! Imagine how bad it would have been for him to disappear and you never knowing if he left the area, was killed by another hunter, hit by a car or after a while think maybe you did actually hit him and he traveled a long distance never to be found? Be grateful for that, it could have been much worse!

Ok, now that is out of the way, so what did the tape say on that awesome buck? He looks like 170 to me!

Kaiser878

ohio
Congrats to you on finding him! Imagine how bad it would have been for him to disappear and you never knowing if he left the area, was killed by another hunter, hit by a car or after a while think maybe you did actually hit him and he traveled a long distance never to be found? Be grateful for that, it could have been much worse!

Ok, now that is out of the way, so what did the tape say on that awesome buck? He looks like 170 to me!
A fuzz over 160.....

Diablo54

Outside
Your not kicking me.... I knew I would hear it from the rage bashers. There's still more waiting for the first person to start, then they will hop on the "bash rage" train. but realistically. At 45 yards on the ground at that angle... I really don't think I would have got a pass through with my montecs anyway .... maybe.... but probably not....

As far as my bow, it's tuned to fixed blades now. I was just shooting Montecs the other day.... I always have a Montec or two in my quiver. ..those are my squirrel, groundhog, coyote arrows.

Honestly, had I been in any other woods. I would have probably seen my arrow in the deer, and I would have seen him fall or lay down.

A freak situation like this isn't enough to make me switch broadheads when I've killed more deer with them than I have fingers and toes. And I've literally watched 99% of them fall..... just a bad deal...

Not bashing. Just stating my opinion. Shoot what you want.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I'm by no means a trophy hunter. Don't even live in a state where that's possible. However I can understand how you feel about not finding the deer in a timely manner. Our ancestors hunted for meat. When you kill an animal only to have that meat go to waste it's a sick feeling. You feel as though you wasted the animal. No matter how big the horns are.

I still say congrats for putting your target buck on the ground. Also, kudos to you for being a true sportsman and tagging this buck. A lot of people wouldn't have.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Enjoyed the read Zach. Despite the less than ideal outcome, I wouldn't beat yourself up over it, as it has happened to us all. Yes, you didn't find him for a few days, but at least you didn't spend the rest of the season wondering where that buck went, hunting a ghost.

Very impressive buck, but what are you going to do with all that extra time now?!

Kaiser878

ohio
Enjoyed the read Zach. Despite the less than ideal outcome, I wouldn't beat yourself up over it, as it has happened to us all. Yes, you didn't find him for a few days, but at least you didn't spend the rest of the season wondering where that buck went, hunting a ghost.

Very impressive buck, but what are you going to do with all that extra time now?!
Well I'm not sure. I have a dog to keep training, and I can focus on him now... and I'll be duck hunting of course.

I'd rrally like to go to another state to deer hunt. But not sure where I'd go....

LonewolfNopack

The woods
I've seen some of his pics and that tells me all I need to know. My comments/opinion have nothing to do with disrespect or not thinking he's accomplished anything. Trust me when I tell you, where I live, we don't have many opportunities at 120" deer, let alone giants like that. But I take hunting just a as serious as he does, guaranteed. ive targeted specific deer, had history for 3-4 years with a few so I get it, I do. When I see pics of a deer like that, regardless of what you've done in your hunting career, the last thing I want to see is apologies, that sucks, I feel your pain, sorry man. That's ridiculous. If I had a gymnasium full of 150's I'd still be thrilled to find that deer half eaten, 2 weeks later. History with deer and targeting/killing a specific one is on another level, but boil it all down...Im a hunter man, not a zoo keeper. Not every story is the bromance fairy tale ending where you and the deer are sharing an acorn on a blanket under a full moon.

I agree 110% with this. With that said, everyone has their thing. If your thing is to name a specific deer and romance about him in your sleep, so be it. I don't get it at all, but its not because I am any less passionate about bowhunting. Its because I have never had ground where I had an opportunity to name bucks and watch them for several years. I depend on a random 125" buck to walk by me to fill my buck tag every year and make me one happy man. If I had the right ground though, maybe I would be in the same boat as Kaiser. It's hard to tell someones situation through a computer screen. Regardless man, you are obviously a consistent big buck killer and you found the deer. I have shot bucks before and never ever found them or had any closure. I have have had years that I never had an opportunity at a shooter buck. Not finding him the same day may be a shot to your bowhunting ego, but you still found him. Get him mounted and honor him...then get ready for next season. In my eyes you are a very blessed dude and I think you know that.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
For what it is worth, I see both sides of this. Zach and I are extremely competitive with ourselves. It isn't about out doing anyone but myself. I have high (at times unrealistic) expectations in myself. I believe Zach to be very similar. I don't want to put words in your mouth Zach, but I will ask: is the meat the biggest blow to your ego? I mean, you have the antlers, you have the ability to get another cape. I personally would feel like I did the animal no justice to kill him just for the antlers. I admit to being a trophy hunter. If I shoot a buck, it is rewarding. Not sure the trophy would be as sweet if I knew the meat was gone. Every time I looked at the antlers I would be reminded of the waste of meat. That is just me. I am a hunter first, trophy hunter second.

Lundy

Ya I found him..... but in my mind I wasted a gorgeous animal.... I wasted 80-90 lbs of meat.... he deserved better than that. That's all

I knew what you meant when you said it was the worst day of your life.

Sorry it ended this way for you. I know you would have rather missed than to have this play out like it did.

Kaiser878

ohio
For what it is worth, I see both sides of this. Zach and I are extremely competitive with ourselves. It isn't about out doing anyone but myself. I have high (at times unrealistic) expectations in myself. I believe Zach to be very similar. I don't want to put words in your mouth Zach, but I will ask: is the meat the biggest blow to your ego? I mean, you have the antlers, you have the ability to get another cape. I personally would feel like I did the animal no justice to kill him just for the antlers. I admit to being a trophy hunter. If I shoot a buck, it is rewarding. Not sure the trophy would be as sweet if I knew the meat was gone. Every time I looked at the antlers I would be reminded of the waste of meat. That is just me. I am a hunter first, trophy hunter second.
I believe you and I are very similar phil. Type A personalities.... high strung. And we share a lot of the same views.

Am I worried about antlers, absolutely. I have a particular size deer in looking for and I won't shoot anything unless it's that size or bigger.

But that's not all of it. 85-90% of the red meat intake in my house is deer. My better half was just bitching at me the other day because we are out of deer burger and she had to buy beef.... so in my mind I wasted 80lbs of hamburger. I'm only allowed to kill two deer this year in Tusc. County. So now, I can only kill one more. Which means jen HAS to shoot her two deer. Even then, I will probably not have enough. It was also a huge blow to my pride to have something like that happen.

So yes antlers matter, and I am glad I found them..... but I wish there would have been 80 lbs of burger in a yeti cooler sitting beside the rotted carcass..... then I wouldn't feel so bad.

Over the years I have developed a huge respect for the animal too... 10 years ago I didn't bat an eye when I killed a deer. Now it's different. I didnt shoot a doe the other day because I thought her unspotted fawn looked to young, and I felt bad. With the amount of time I hsd in this deer, the mental relationship I formed, I felt like a big bag of shit doing what I did to him.... for what? The 160 inches of calcium off his head? It's immensely disrespectful to not feel atleast a little remorse. And if someone wouldnt, I question them as a person. This isnt a squirrel, or a dove.... it's a 200+ lb animal....

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Little late to the party here but...... Here's my take on it all. Getting to watch this deer mature and grow all summer was very enjoyable (especially with his running mate). The phone calls and countless hours of preplanning took place under very secret discretion and sounded like it was all going to work out as season got close. After opening nights encounter and the deer not giving Zach a shot, I can first hand experience this exact situation with a deer named Pinnacle (typical 12) several years ago. Walking out your terrified that you've just laid to much scent for him to comb through over night and that he'll turn nocturnal. The best part about this story is there is a recovery, mine didn't have the same ending. Soooo..... as much as your pride is hurt bc you've had a great track record, I still wouldn't beat yourself up too bad about this. Although the deer went to waste meat wise you were able to salvage a hell of a rack and recover the animal. I'm sure A LOT of lessons were learned that day, reguardless you have closure and were humbled..... do you not think that's the great plan from someone upstairs? Sometimes we have to be humbled and honestly you got a small taste of it. The same night you called me about this situation I definitely had some flash backs but I'm telling you it ended the best possible way it could have! Try sitting on not knowing for 7 years.... Either way I can honestly say I'm proud of you and you did the right thing when you found him. Chin up bud!!!!