Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Do you know?

Mao

Coshocton, OH
It all came together last night for Layla. I have had an absolute blast bow hunting with my oldest daughter this year. We have had great hunts and have seen deer every time out. On opening day, Layla hit one of her target bucks square in the shoulder. The broad head broke off right at the end of the bolt. No noticeable blood. He lived. We also have trail cam pics of him since. She was disappointed but got over it quick.

The buck on the left is the buck she ends up killing. The buck on the right is the one she shoulder punched opening day.
View attachment 36842

We hunted a couple more times and had does and yearling bucks come in. It was hard to keep her from shooting one, but with five or six good shooters for her in the area, I talked her in to waiting for one of them. One hunt we even had the big 12 pointer come in to 14 yards and would not turn broadside for us for nothing! Here is a pic of him eating right in front of us as we are in the tree waiting on him to turn.
deer2015 005.jpg

I had a good feeling about last night. A quick cam check showed a shooter nine coming in the last couple mornings and evenings during daylight hours. I was certain this was the buck she would get a shot at. I was wrong.

The hunt started slow but before long we had a couple does way out in the bean field to our left. We watched them and stayed patient. At around 6:40 I heard some movement directly behind us. I hear a deer jump the fence and come into view. It was a small spike, but one that has been with the bigger bucks. I quickly get Layla set up on my knee and tell her to get ready. A minute later, I hear more movement from the same spot and had a feeling it would be a shooter. It was. He hopped the fence and stood down below us at about 40 yards. He cautiously walked up the hill. He comes just shy of an opening and stops and raises his head. I know at this point he is smelling the smoke from Layla and I. He is down wind from us. It doesn't spook him, but he approaches very cautiously. Thank you Scent Smoker! As he moves towards us he begins to quarter away. He comes to 20-25 yards and stops. Layla had a little trouble getting on him. After what seems like an eternity she says "okay I am on him". I check her hand positioning and whisper, "Okay you can shoot him." She took her time and squeezed slow and buried one what looked to be right inside his shoulder. He bolted straight down the hill on to the neighbors property out of sight. We hugged and fist pumped and I just prayed it was a good hit.

We let him go for an hour and a half and decided he was probably dead and I wanted Layla to be able to go for the recovery. My dad, Layla, my school superintendent and his boy came with us to track. At first, the blood wasn't to promising but as we continued after fifty yards, he opened up good. Layla really enjoyed being in the woods in the dark and following blood. "We are like detectives", she said. As I scanned ahead with my spotlight I saw a white belly and we took off for him. Layla screamed and was ecstatic! I was a little jacked up myself. We took a few pictures and high-fived all around. We then pulled him down the hill and loaded him up in the Ranger and took him back to my dads for some pictures and celebrating. He is already at the processor getting cut up for her grandpa that works in Cleveland and loves to brag about his country granddaughter. It was a night I will never forget. I enjoy hunting with her so much more than going myself. It has given me a new outlook on deer hunting.

me n layla buck.jpglaylabucknbow.jpgtight8trailcam.jpg

Mao

Coshocton, OH
This gives me chills! Just the thought of how excited you two had to have been is so cool. You're a great dad, man. Way to go.

That is the best compliment I could be given. Thanks Cotty! Good luck to you and your boys! Get that daughter of yours out there once. Never know, may light a fire.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
Thank you all for the overwhelming generous comments! Layla and I are truly appreciate of all you guys. I have learned so much from this place over the years. She enjoys reading them as well. Good luck to you all out there!