Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

K's Spot - Creating Something from Nothing

at1010

*Supporting Member*
great spot jesse!

Deer are sitting tighter than a bullfrogs asshole up here in Noble county. Did see 3 does tonight. Cameras are light up..... all at night! Keep after em!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Hopped up on the platform today just to see how it looked. Love this view!

20170716_095847.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Thanks fellas. A lot of things have changed in this area since we bought the farm. The biggest is the explosion in cover nearby. This part of the farm was pretty well manicured early on and after some convincing, I got my dad to agree to let the "buffer" areas grow that surround the two draws that dump in to this bottom. I took these pictures while picking berries yesterday. 5 years ago, this was manicured pasture. The cluster of sumac in the last picture is where Wilson was bedding frequently last year. There's another 3/4 acre worth of thicket that's been a sanctuary for 10 years now that ties in to this now, making for a good 4-5 acres of bedding cover.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It doesn't take long for the brush to grow. Seems like you turn your back and there's new stuff growing.

K's view is perfect! Definitely a good thing you've done on letting that area grow and get thicker. My dad was shocked at how tall many of the trees were in our 'sanctuary' area last time we drove by it. Mentioned mowing/cutting it but after talking about how beneficial it is becoming because of all the other open timber areas he agreed it needs to be that way.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Sadly, I did not get the shooting house built here this year. Having my second child really lined me out on what free time I had, and sure as hell didn't have! I spent the morning out there on Saturday setting some cam traps and getting a few spots ready to hunt. We set the Grounder 350 blind back on the platform. I'll add some pine branches to it this year to help blend it in to the back ground some. Goal is make it look like a white pine!

The food plot looks great too. Her and I will hunt here on Sunday of opening weekend, then I'm staying off the farm until Halloween. I may sit right here all day on Halloween.

Sadly, I did not get the shooting house built here this year. Having my second child really lined me out on what free time I had, and sure as hell didn't have! I spent the morning out there on Saturday setting some cam traps and getting a few spots ready to hunt. We set the Grounder 350 blind back on the platform. I'll add some pine branches to it this year to help blend it in to the back ground some. Goal is make it look like a white pine!

The food plot looks great too. Her and I will hunt here on Sunday of opening weekend, then I'm staying off the farm until Halloween. I may sit right here all day on Halloween.

If it helps, it only gets worse as they get older. :smiley_crocodile: The bad thing is I am being dead serious. The good thing is when they get big enough, when you do find a little bit of time, they can actually be a help to build some of the stuff instead of a hindrance.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Spent about 12 hours looking out over the bottom this week and I really feel this is one of the best spots on the farm, especially with a little more work. I finalized the design for the permanent blind in my head while I was pontificating on the possibilities here. I'll be installing a creek cross to get the small tractor in to the food plot, then roughly doubling it in size. It will likely become the only leafy green food plot on the farm. I need to work on some lane/trail enhancement also, but it's almost there! I will have this place manicured to the 9s by the start of next season. K turns 5 on New Years Eve and I'm getting her a crossbow this spring. We'll practice all summer and see where we're at come season. She's fully versed in the life/death thing already, so I feel good about that aspect.

The more I sit this spot, the more I like it for my own use too, so it's a win win!

Buckmaster

Portage
Here's a couple ideas for you.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 202
  • Taj Step Pic.jpg
    Taj Step Pic.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 172
  • Long View.jpg
    Long View.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 171
  • Taj Start.jpg
    Taj Start.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 186
  • Taj Stage 2.jpg
    Taj Stage 2.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 167
  • Taj Final.jpg
    Taj Final.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 167
  • Taj Pano.jpg
    Taj Pano.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 167

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Those are serious blinds. I could spend the entire week, day and night, of gun season in something like that!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
In the next 5 years, we'll have 3 of those. One at K's Spot, one at the intersection of the main creek bottoms, both will be built on the side of the hill. I'll build a 3rd in the main creek bottom, but it'll be atop a platform built on 7" casing sunk 4' deep with a floor height of 10'. Long game investments for the next couple generations.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
So I'm going to suck it up and tear down the platform only to move it 20' north and turn it 45 degrees. After much debate last season while hunting out of it, I think it's the right move, especially for gun hunting. I need better shooting to the N and that will fix the issue without sacrificing the shooting I already have. It's a priority to have the shooting house built before this season, so I'll be starting the platform teardown/rebuild in the next few weeks. The new view out the front window will be much better and will easily justify the extra work.

Reactions: at1010 and giles