Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio Man Dies After Falling From A Treestand - Huron County Michigan

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
For buddy stands, do I have to use two lines? I was hoping there was a way to go up and then send the guide (or whatever you call it) back down for the boy.

Mike, you can make spare pursik knot out of pursik cord to attach on each lifeline. Once the first climber gets to the top and ties off, the second can tie into the pursik and head up. You don't want both people to be hooked up to the lifeline at the same time though.

here's a pic of a double lifeline HSS makes

And if you want to order pursik cord and tie your own, you can order it here, and I can show you how to tie it. You'll need 2-3ft of pursik cord for each lifeline to make it a double. 6mm would be fine

http://www.cmcrescue.com/equipment/prusik-cord-load-release-hitch-cord/

Attachments

• 71tkpWdYdML._SL1500_.jpg
    71tkpWdYdML._SL1500_.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 72

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mike, you can make spare pursik knot out of pursik cord to attach on each lifeline. Once the first climber gets to the top and ties off, the second can tie into the pursik and head up. You don't want both people to be hooked up to the lifeline at the same time though.

here's a pic of a double lifeline HSS makes

And if you want to order pursik cord and tie your own, you can order it here, and I can show you how to tie it. You'll need 2-3ft of pursik cord for each lifeline to make it a double. 6mm would be fine

http://www.cmcrescue.com/equipment/prusik-cord-load-release-hitch-cord/

Thanks! I'll check it out and get back to ya.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
With as many idiots that are in the woods, I am surprised this doesn't happen more really. Sad news for sure. I hung sticks today with out a harness, not smart at all. I suffer from the old invincible syndrome every now and then. Need to stop it. That said, I never hunt without a harness...

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
yeah. After puttin up the hang-on stand/climbers on the tree 25 ft up without lineman belt was not smart at all. After got done putting climbing sticks on, I called it a day, not getting up there to put the hang-on on the tree without the safety hardness/lineman belt, nah I'm good. Waited other day to come back with safety hardness/lineman belt, got the job done quick.

DandaMan

Hate to read these stories about people falling from treestands. This one had an Ohio connection. Sounds like he fell some time after shooting a deer and attempting to get down out of his stand.

http://www.miheadlines.com/2015/10/02/ohio-man-dies-after-falling-from-tree-stand-in-huron-county/

I hate reading these stories too. There is no reason for this to happen other than stupidity. Twenty years ago we didn't have lifelines and safety harnesses. We have them now. People have been falling out of trees and dying for decades. We think nothing of dropping good money on bows sights and stands. Spend a few more bucks and buy a lifeline. Stupid hurts and sometimes it kills.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Thanks! I'll check it out and get back to ya.
I have one of those for my 2 man stand. I go up first using the top knot. My son goes up next with the bottom knot. I have a tree strap up top for one of us to hook on to. You shouldnt have two people connected to the same line. Just in case one of you falls you don't want to pull the other person out of the stand too.